Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
powder paint colors after curing on two tone jigs - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by defish View Post
Seaark I'm curious what are you using for your clear coat after you spray your two-tones?

As to the Harbor Freight powder, I've heard that it's "ok." Not bad, but maybe not the best and very limited for colors. Some of the best quality powder at very good prices is available from ColumbiaCoatings.com. A lot of colors available and good customer service.

Dan
I am using the Pro-Tec clear.I do like the Pro-Tec,but not the retail price.

I am still experimenting with different techniques,but when I go at it,I do a lot of them.It is no biggie to cure each coat though.I heat the jigs with a heat gun,may try the toaster oven to preheat.

The Pro-Tec clear works good to seal 2-tones,I spray the backs with a rattle-can.Makes it much more durable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgoosekillr View Post
when you bake the second and third time doesn't the base coat soften up on you? i actually use the toaster over to heat the jigs for coloring that way i can heat the entire batch, and grab a jig at a time out of the oven to color... hang them on an outside rack.. when all have been colored back into the oven they go to cure.
Actually the baked primer coat is very hard,and does not soften much.The few small drips I get at first,I just hit it with a file.I tried glow orange over uncured white,and it kinda bled together.Much better after curing top coat first.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Keeper

2-tone using spray cans.Base coat is pearl.Finish coat is clear Pro-tec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02081811.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	13504  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Keeper

ksgoosekillr,

Those are nice looking jigs. I also use the powder coating for jigs. How do you get the coating off of the jig eyes once its baked on?

Maddogg
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
Those look very professional. Nicely done.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg View Post
ksgoosekillr,

Those are nice looking jigs. I also use the powder coating for jigs. How do you get the coating off of the jig eyes once its baked on?

Maddogg
it can be very hard to get the paint out after its already baked on. that's why i usually make sure all the eyes are clear and useable before i bake them in the oven.

and you guys that put a primer on before coating the jigs with color, do you find that the primer gives you better colors? i was just wondering since i have never applied primer to my jigs and they always seem to turn out good.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyehunter92 View Post
it can be very hard to get the paint out after its already baked on. that's why i usually make sure all the eyes are clear and useable before i bake them in the oven.

and you guys that put a primer on before coating the jigs with color, do you find that the primer gives you better colors? i was just wondering since i have never applied primer to my jigs and they always seem to turn out good.
I hardly ever put a "primer" coat on my jigs either.

Some people say the colors are brighter if you do, but I don't see any difference. I dunk my jigs directly in the powder, but people using a fluid bed can have a thin enough coating with some colors that the lead shows through and the color isn't as bright. (Some powder colors are less dense than others and float out very thin in a fluid bed.)

Dan
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Keeper

that batch i tried the white as an undercoat... this next batch i am going to just do the green chart and cure it first. As you can see below my oven is packed!!!! those little ovens will hold about 150 jigs lol... Tonight im gonna fire it up again and see how easy it is to two tone them after the base coat is cured. Gonna try a blue/red on the green and pink/green, and maybe a few other combos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jigs2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	13512   Click image for larger version

Name:	jigs3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	13513  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Keeper

The only problems I have had with colors bleeding through or changing colors on two tones is when I applied a candy purple over a hologram glitter base coat. I was shooting at having the glitter show trough the candy coating and it did as long as I didn't apply too much purple. The problem ( if you could call it that) on two tone PCC/HG was that after curing, the purple overcoat would shrink a bit. By that I mean before curing the jig would be painted half and half but after curing the purple candy coat would have drawn back and only covered about a third to a quarter of the jig. It seems applying more PCC cures the problem but it also dampens the glitter affect I am looking for.

I have not painted a lot of different two tone colors before but the ones I have (save the candy coated ones) I have had no problems at all with color bleeding etc.

I do not put a base coat of white on and I do not cure two or three toned jigs one color at a time = I paint them one at a time then cure them when I have the number of jigs I want.

I am relatively new to the glitter powder paints and one thing I noticed is they do not take the heat of curing too well = the glitter melts. One soloution I read about was to bake the glitter powder paint at a lower temp for a longer period of time. 250 for 20-25 mins vs 350 for 15 mins for regular colors. I have not tried that but it makes sense. On the other hand, I found (by accident) that the glitter powder paint jigs placed further from the heating element (baking them at 350) that the glitter does not melt or at least it has not with the ones I have done.

IMO The candy colors are a little different. I like the finish and all but they don't seem to be as durable as the regular colos = they seem to chip a lot easier. This is with the candy colors being painted over plain lead and/or a base color for two tones. I have also noticed with the candy coatings that a little paint goes a long ways. I have noticed when I dip them (candy colors) as I would a regular color that many times I will end up with drips when curing them. It's not the end of the world bad or anything but something to keep in mind when using them. Seems there will be a little bit of a learing curve for me using the candy colors.

Sorry to the OP for straying off topic a little.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
By spray cans do you mean regular spray paint or somthing else? If it's regular spray paint how does it hold up when applying the powder over coat and curing process? Do you notice any chipping poblems with the clear coat when fishing jigs painted this way?

Sorry for the Qs but spray painting opens a whole new door as to what a guy couold whip up color wise.

Awesome looking jigs BTW!