Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
new lund impact 90hp merc vs 115hp merc? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-14-2017, 01:32 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 1750 Rebel XS with a 115, it is a very good match, will cruise in around 30mph very easily, hole shot is pretty good.

The 1875 Impact is much heavier, I wouldn't buy it with the 115, I would spring for the 150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
thank you to all that have responded to my post! I figured the best way to find out some of the questions is to get answers from fisherman that experienced it for themselves.
the boat is going to be used primarily for fishing. Sounds to me like the 115 will probably do the job in most situations, the 150 is the better match for the 1875 all the way around.
I haven't been to my dealer yet but that's the next step!
grover, it looks like you've made your mind up with avoiding the 90 HP. I thought I'd chime in anyway, to further ease your mind about going with the 115 (or even the 150, if you can swing it).

I agree with the others. I had a 1775 Impact with a 115, and it was a good fit. I now have a 1850 Impact with a 150 on back, and it is a great engine, sipping gas at cruising speeds, and able to easily handle all passengers and gear I throw at it. My concern with the 90 would be that, while it may be sufficient for two or three guys fishing with some gear, it might limit you to that. You may later want to take some friends out for a cruise or some kids out skiing or tubing or something, and the 90 might struggle at those times.

You are already spending a lot of money on the boat. You'll be much more happy with it if you spend a bit more to better enjoy it over the years that you own it. And, if you are unhappy with the 90, and decide to upgrade, you might have a difficult time unloading an underpowered boat.

Anyway, good luck and happy boat shopping. I think you'll like the Impact.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
J I went out in an 1875 with a 115, which was definitely adequate. In fact, I liked it a lot...until he took me out in the same model boat with the 150. Suddenly the 115 felt sluggish. In truth, I don't know that I need the 150...but there was no way I could go away from it after that ride.
I think this is a pretty accurate statement. I own an 18.5' Lund and run a 115. I've never felt like my boat was under powered despite the fact that I'm in the minority holding that opinion. The 150 is probably the "ideal" motor but the 115 will work if you're on a budget. From what some suggest you would leave with the exaggerated impression that it won't even be able to plane ... it's utter nonsense. It will "work" in the sense that it will do all of the normal things you would expect a fishing boat to do ... the 150 will do all of them faster. Decide how you wish to spend your money but consider both options.

Upgrading from 90 to 115 is an absolute no brainier based on the cost you've cited. You'll probably end up spending more on electronics.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Minnow

I run a '16 1875 Pro Guide with a 90 merc 4stroke,(max power for the 1875 tiller) its a great motor and I get about 38mph with 2 guys and gear. My motor has been nothing short of amazing that's for sure. But I would say to buy the biggest motor possible for the boat to get the best performance you can from it and you will be a happy camper.

Last edited by Wisco-tiller-Joe; 01-17-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

its always better to go bigger if its in your budget. I had an old 19' center console glass boat with a 150 merc on it and it was amazing. I could hit 52 mph with 3 people in the boat with the bimini top up.

now I have an old very heavy 17' glass tri hull open bow. it has and old 1979 115 hp merc on it. I would love to have a 150 for it but that's not in my budget and not really needed. the 115 does everything I need it to do. it planes with no problem, it runs down the lake as fast as I need to go. I'm just not sure off hand what my top speed is, but its fast enough for what I do. I use the boat for fishing small lakes and the Intracoastal down in fl. I have a 21' boat I use on big water or playing on the water. the 115 should do everything you need it to do. just a little slower than the 150.

getting on plane with the 115 will depend mostly on what prop and pitch you use. I had a 19p on my 115 hp when I put it on this 17' boat. it would plane but not very good and my rpm's was to low. I tried a 17p and it was better but just not enough for this heavy glass boat. so I opted for a 15p and it planes good and my rpm's are up where I want them. but my speed is probably in the low 30's. I say buy the biggest motor that you can afford you'll be glad you did down the road. but the 115 will serve you well. if you want a better hole shot and everything else is ok you can go to a good 4 blade prop, something like the rev 4. this is all just my opinion from boating the last 40 yrs.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Grover,
As others have said, I would not put on either the 90hp, or the 115hp engine, but rather would install the 150hp engine.

This is a large boat that simply works better all around with the 150 hp engine.

If you just have to leave off some electronics or a trolling motor for now - so be it.

But, once you have made the decision on your primary power on a rig - you are generally stuck with it for the life of the rig.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Minnow

Grover

I purchased a new 2015 lund impact 1850 xs with a 115 4s standard gear case. yes you can always go bigger, but the 115 will do you well. I fish regularly with three guys and full gear. All the guys are 200lb plus.

hole shot is very good and I still get 41 to 43 mph if the water is on the calmer side.

I like to try props out and have used several on this combo. mercury vengeance 16 pitch and the mercury spitfire x7 in a 17 pitch are the two I like the best each for different reasons. I like the spitfire x7 for the better handling when pulling kids so that prop is on most of the time. If you purchase this combo let me know and I will tell you what plugs I have in the vents. I use several different sizes at the same time for the ventilation around the prop.

DB0460