Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Musky reels? Best ones? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Keeper

Default Musky reels? Best ones?

I've read before that the Revo winch is a great low profile reel for multiple casting situations. Has anyone used the Orra winch or should I just spend the extra $60 and get the Revo?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

It really depends on what your budget is and what you want to use the reel for. The Abu winch is a decent entry level reel. There are much better options out there but they come with a higher price point. The "BEST" reels out there are The Shimano Tranx, The Shimano Conquest. The second level of really good reels would involve the Shimano Calcutta D Series and the Revo beast series. If you elaborate what you are looking for and how you plan ot use it is would be easier to give more targeted advice. I would not look for the Orra to be a long term solution if you plan to do any amount on fishing or plan to use it on traditional musky baits (Size 10 bucktails etc...)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Keeper

Just getting my feet wet.... Have a couple of the BPS Pete Mania reels but looking to upgrade.... I'm a newbie. Love throwing top water and bucktails, trolling, and scared to even think of throwing the bulldawgs I have... LOL

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

I am also pretty new to musky fishing. I bought the Revo Toro Beast last year and really like it. I chose the one with the faster 6.2:1 gear ratio. I have never thrown a pounder with it, but it handles the regular bulldawg and double 10's nicely. I found a great sale and ended up getting the beast for $239 after mail in rebate. Not sure I would ever spend $400 on a reel, but I don't think I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price.

I was using a 6500 C3 Ambassadeur and had no complaints there, either. Going back to the C3 feels like I'm cranking like mad to get a decent speed or rhythm.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatchmike View Post
Just getting my feet wet.... Have a couple of the BPS Pete Mania reels but looking to upgrade.... I'm a newbie. Love throwing top water and bucktails, trolling, and scared to even think of throwing the bulldawgs I have... LOL

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

A 400 Shimano Calcutta D can be had for about 75 bucks more than the Revo. They are built well and Shimano will service them for $35.00 I have used 2 of them since they came out on a variety of baits big and small and they work great. They are a great overall reel. They are a not a speed demon but they can burn 10's if you want to. The Revo would definitely be an upgrade over the BPS reels. They are decent reels that may require more maintenance down the road but have a more user friendly starting price. Like most anything, with Musky reels you get what you pay for...
Old 01-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Wallhanger

I recently got into Musky fishing as well, doing alot of casting. The first setup I got is a St Croix Legend Tournament with a Lexa 300 HD, the HD is built better than the regular Lexa's but guys like both the 300 and 400, for bigger stuff you need the 400 just for spool capasity, mine is 7:1 it throws bucktails and cranks great picks up slack really well on smaller rubber and gliders and burns bucktails over weeks, excellent brake on it,, it's perfect for anything under 10's.

My second real is a Toro 50 HS in 6:4:1, it throws big rubber, 10's, shadzillas etc really nice.

Tranx is the top of the line but also cost 500 you can find them used for 375-450 though.

Alot of guys like the Toro S and Rocket as well as the Beast all very popular and used by tons of guys.

The Okuma Komodo is getting lots of buyers lately, my cousin just got one and loves it, many other guys do as well.

I'm going to get a Big Nasty this season and pair it with the new 400 Tranx that's coming out in March it's basically a jacked up Curado with a price point of 299 it should be a great real.

Shimano makes excellent round reels as suggested but for casting all day I prefer the low profiles so haven't dug into the rounds as much.

As far as general rules, I wouldn't get anything less than a 6:1 (maybe 5:8 for 10's and pounders) and find something with a power handle, any less on the gear ratio and you'll be cranking your *** off and Power handles always help with leverage and all day comfort.

There really is no one perfect real, but guys seem to like the Beast and Tranx the most the next level down is the Toro S, Komoda and Lexa HD and Curado, all mid priced but quality built.

Just my take from what I have and what I have learned shopping and reading.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Slot Fish

I have a Curado 300e, fine for top water and spinner baits, not good for buck tails.
I also have a Lexa 400H, for $250 that is a good reel, lots of line pick up and handles larger baits.

My next reel will be a Calcutta 400d, using my buddies it is smooth! Tranx are too big for me, the spool sits high, my thumb stretched out only touches the bottom of the spool.

I'd check out the Beast too, I haven't heard any complaints.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Keeper

just to be clear, the Revo winch, Orra winch, Revo beast, and Revo S are all bass sized reels. the musky reels all have Toro in the name: Revo Toro Winch, Revo Toro NACL, Revo Toro Beast, Revo Toro S. I dont think many people are using the toro winch anymore, its a little too slow. If buying new the Toro S is good or the Toro beast if you can afford it.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

Personally I don't see the big deal with the Calcuttas for Muskie. Ok, I have 2. One 400 and one 200. Personally, I don't care for it if i'm throwing baits larger than 3 oz. The retrieve is fine, ergonomically I just don't like it for casting big baits.
I also have 3 Revo Toros. A winch 50, NaCl 60, and a Beast. I just love these reels! The Beast is the most incredible reel for the big stuff that I've used.. and pretty to when you put it on a Legend Tourney.
Disclaimer - I've never tried the Tranx. Want to for sure. I have a feeling it would be the best for big rubbers.
The Calcutta 400 is a fine reel but for muskie, i'd throw it on a MH and use it for topwater or smaller baits like the Super Shad Rap.

My Calcutta 200 sit on a Hvy Bass crankbait rod. Perfect for Pike and super deep bass/walleye crankbaits.
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 02-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatchmike View Post
I've read before that the Revo winch is a great low profile reel for multiple casting situations. Has anyone used the Orra winch or should I just spend the extra $60 and get the Revo?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Might want to list baits you want to toss, no sense in going with a heavy set up to toss basic bucktails or suicks.

The 400d Calcutta has worked well for me over the years, but I don't toss the ultra heavy baits much.

Al