Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
fireline for tip-ups - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Slot Fish

Default fireline for tip-ups

Has anyone tried fireline as a leader when using tip-ups? if so,how does it preform?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

The only reason I can imagine using FL for a leader would be for better protection against bite-offs.

If that is not the purpose, then I think it makes a poor leader due to it being so visible.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

I have not used it for a leader, but from my experience with it jigging I have found that it does not hold up to northern teeth very well. In fact I have found I get fewer bite offs with a mono leader than I do using fire line tied direct.

On my tip ups if I am rigging for walleye I use 8# mono for a leader. For northern I use steel. A good compromise if you have a good shot at either species is 15# fluorocarbon. It will hold up to most northern and is low vis enough to still get some walleye bites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Keeper

^
I use 15lb fluro for my leaders.

One thing to consider with the braided line. I have had a few times were I had it wrapped around a finger or anything and got in a pinch. That stuff can cut you pretty good. And every time I use a tipup the line is every were could be an accident waiting to happen. ( I realize its only a leader but..)

I also have heard people say that fighting a fish by hand can be helped with stretch of the line. You don't have a drag system to make up for that no stretch line fighting a larger fish.

Let us know how you do with it.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchaser View Post
Has anyone tried fireline as a leader when using tip-ups? if so,how does it preform?
I wouldn't suggest it. Its so limp that your bait is likely to swim around and tangle itself. Its visible so the fish will easily see it (not sure it makes a difference, but can't help anything). And it is no more bite-proof than fluoro, actually it's worse.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
The only reason I can imagine using FL for a leader would be for better protection against bite-offs.

If that is not the purpose, then I think it makes a poor leader due to it being so visible.
Nope , Northerns can bite off fireline or braid just as easy if not easier than mono. I would get FLURO for leaders.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Keeper

I used 50 pound Power-pro as a leader for pike on the ice. I figured that the small diameter and limpness would give the bait more action. It is also very tough to cut. .............. Used it for about 2 trips and scrapped that idea after loosing some nice fish. It is NOT a good leader material for toothy critters. I use it on my open water stuff with a leader but that is about it. Here is way to get a handle on its weakness. Take a length of braid and pull it tight and then work it over the edge of a concrete step. It will fray and separate in short order. Same things happen when it is pulled over fish teeth. Mrt.