Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Diabetes in future effecting everyone - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Caseo

Default Diabetes in future effecting everyone

It has been in the news lately that if the diabetes rate continues in the next ten years as it has in the last ten years almost everyone will have it in their lifetime.

100 years ago it was rare.
Now 1 out of 4 school age kids are either diabetic or so prediabetic that it is estimated that they will have diabetes in the next 3 years,

Think its just something you take a pill for? Even if you do, you still can get serious health consequences.As just good blood glucose numbers do not mean you can't have negative health problems.

From WebMD:

Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, nontraumatic lower-limb amputations, and new cases of blindness among adults in the United States.
Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke.
Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States.
A new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that at the rate things are going, as many as 1 in 3 U.S. adults will have diabetes by 2050.

"These are alarming numbers that show how critical it is to change the course of type 2 diabetes," said Ann Albright, Ph.D., director of the CDC's Division of Diabetes Translation. "Successful programs to improve lifestyle choices on healthy eating and physical activity must be made more widely Natural Solutions to Diabetesavailable, because the stakes are too high and the personal toll too devastating to fail."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Do you think it might have something to do with all the junk food and processed foods people eat now days compared to 100 years ago?
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Caseo

A hundred years ago people ate little processed foods. Also sweet foods were special things
not done so regularly. People were not so addicted as we are now. We consume on average 180 pounds of sugar a year. In many countries diabetes is still rare.

In traveling to Asia, the pastries and candy wouldn't be called sweet here. The people there have been used to have their sweet desires to be set much lower. Its a whirlpool, the more you partake, the more you crave. Insulin levels are stimulated and you body seems to demand more and more. For many its hard to turn around, but it certainly is doable if you nurture it that way. If you get obese or even much overweight our changes for diabetes greatly increases no matter what the genes you were born with.
Lack of being fit also is a big factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

The point is obvious: Our guest is making a case for a "junk food tax" to help fund universal health care. The money's gotta come from somewhere. "Everyone" will be affected by diabetes,"everyone" eats junk food. Why shouldn't "everyone" pay a sin tax on junk food to help fund "everyone's" healthcare?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 AM
aguest

Diabetes is a fat disease. People who exercise and eat a healthy diet will not get it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseo View Post
If you get obese or even much overweight our changes for diabetes greatly increases no matter what the genes you were born with.
Lack of being fit also is a big factor.

I'm 71 and have been a type 2 diabetic for which I take medication. At 6 foot and 210# I was heavier than necessary but not what most would call fat. A recent health problem (now fixed) caused me to lose 40# and I'm now about 170. Blood sugar improved so much I went off medication! While diet and exercise is important nothing helps more than keeping ones weight in check.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM
aguest

Your premise that EVERYONE in the near future will have diabetes is just FALSE period. You will always have people who choose to live a healthy lifestyle.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Thats a good point Juls, now days junk and processed food is every where and most people on the go especially eat it all the time. Look at cancer rates and heart disease how they have climbed over the years. Even look at milk and the stuff they feed the cows to increase milk production, how good can that be for you ? Growth hormones for beef cattle to make them grow faster and bigger. I think mthat may have been banned but I am not sure.
I do know more people with diabetes today than I did say 10 years ago.

Rebs
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Caseo

aguest wrote:

" Your premise that EVERYONE in the near future will have diabetes is just FALSE period. You will always have people who choose to live a healthy lifestyle."

No,..#1 its not MY premise, just relaying what Joslen Diabetes center , perhaps the largest research and treament center in the world has said.

#2 they are not saying all, they are saying that if you apply the same trend in numbers you get "almost" They don't say that trend will be complete and it also takes in people all through their lives. Go to a nursing home and see how many people there are diabetic. They are old, sedentary and often overweight. That represents a lot of people in this projection. So yes I hope you keep your weight right at goal and keep fit and eat a healthy diet. It will greatly help.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

The diabetes rate increase coincides closely to the production of cheap corn sweeteners in all processed foods.
Good luck on getting rid of the subsidies on that stuff.