Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Optimax cutting out, water in gas? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Those plugs don't look all that bad...

..sort of like the ones on my 2002 Opti 150, but with the large number of trolling hours I's change them anyway- making sure you get the right P/N- should be NGK IZFR5G. Torque to 20 ft-lbs- leaving lots of time to change the lowest plug on the port bank. After the plugs are in, wipe a very thin film of Merc 24c lube on the insulator so the boot doesn't weld itself in place over time. Make sure each plug wire is firmly on the plug- the 2 lower plugs on the port bank are known to be tough ones to get the wires seated. A plug wire that is not fully seated on the plug will cause just the miss that you have...and don't ask me how I know this!

While you're doing this, look at each coil terminal to make sure that no carbon "wires" or "hairs" have formed that can short the terminal. I had a Merc 2 years back with an intermittant miss that ended up due to a half inch long carbon hair that had built up over 8 years on one of the low voltage connections to the point that it was arcing out when I hit a wave.

I second ohiojmj's post about emptying out the water separator filter and re-installing it. If the plug change and draining the filter and checking the lines and primer plug doesn't fix it, then a trip to the dealer is needed to look for a bad coil or ECU- and hopefully it's not the ECU.
Doug