Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat / Motor model years - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 05-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default Boat / Motor model years

Continuing from the Crestliner thread. I don't see the big deal about needing a exact year on a new boat, all it is a shell that skims across the water. If it has never been used and is kept out of the weather it is new. Now a boat motor is different, there are constant changes and improvements in parts and part venders. I know some basic models have little changes, but there are usually some changes in part numbers from year to year. A shop service manual for a certain motors model usually covers maybe 2 years, as constant improvements are made. Consumers need to know exact years as we all know certain model years have bugs and problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=eriksat1;4845073] I don't see the big deal about needing a exact year on a new boat, all it is a shell that skims across the water. If it has never been used and is kept out of the weather it is new. [/QUOTE]

There is an "old wife" joke in there somewhere but I am too busy to work it out today.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=eriksat1;4845073]Continuing from the Crestliner thread. I don't see the big deal about needing a exact year on a new boat, all it is a shell that skims across the water. If it has never been used and is kept out of the weather it is new. Now a boat motor is different, there are constant changes and improvements in parts and part venders. I know some basic models have little changes, but there are usually some changes in part numbers from year to year. A shop service manual for a certain motors model usually covers maybe 2 years, as constant improvements are made. Consumers need to know exact years as we all know certain model years have bugs and problems.[/QUOTE]

I respectively disagree.........boats, motor, cars, trucks, trailers, etc have model years and each model year more times then not have slight changes and sometimes drastic changes that are not evident to the naked eye.

I remember reading here that certain models of Lunds during a certain time period (year) have been know to have transom problems. Just knowing the years of that prevalent problem tells the consumer to be wary of that year model. Same holds true for just about anything manufactured.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Even if you knew the year, that still doesn't let you know what specific model had problems. Allot of times, there are changes made during a model year as problems are discovered, and tweaks are made. The only way to tell if your model is effected is by the serial number. If you look at allot of service bulletins, they will state serial number X thru whatever number is effected, even when they did have model years. When I reviewed my insurance policy a few weeks ago, we discussed my engine being a 2004 Opti on a 2007 boat, and he said they only go by HP and serial number when valuing an engine now.

Year is important on a hull because they don't sit around in a crate like an engine waiting for a buyer. They sit on the showroom floor or outside, getting weathered and handled by the public. Some of the worst showroom boats I have seen were ones that sat around for a couple years with people opening and closing compartments, leading to loose fasteners, scuffing the outside leaning over it, stains in the carpet, etc. I just bought a "new" 2015 ATV. My stipulation to buying a year old model was that I wanted one straight out of the crate, not one that had been exposed to weather and UV, sitting out front for the last 10-12 months.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Slot Fish

When I bought my 620 in 2009 it was an un-used, brand new 2008.
Ranger dealer called it a 2008, Ranger specifically reffers to it as a 2008 and so does my insurance company.
Beleive the same thing with the 250 & 9.9 Yamahas.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

The last [B]new[/B] boat / motor I bought was a headache. I wanted a certain make and model boat, but I also wanted a certain make and model outboard motor. The only 2 boat dealers at that time around Chicago sold OMC motors and wanted bad to sell me a package deal with a Evinrude. I ended up buying a bare boat without a motor from one dealer and buying a outboard motor only from another dealer that didn't sell that kind of boat. I rigged it myself. Imo a person should have more of a choice of what motor a boat comes with, not force fed a certain package deal.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

No more model years for Yamaha outboards. Pretty sure most if not all manufacturers also.

Yamaha outboards, for instance, quit using year designations as of 2006. Prior to that, built into the model number was also a code that indicated the year of manufacture. Even if there was no change in the next year, the model NUMBER would change even if the motor was identical to the previous year. That all ended after 2005.

Starting in 2006 regardless of the year of manufacture, if the motor did not change, neither did the model number. There were no more indications as to what year the motor was manufactured ,(other than maybe a non permanent sticker somewhere on the motor, maybe by a QC inspector,etc.)

This was of benefit to dealers,in that, if they had some aged inventory, they no longer had to sell at a discount as "non current" . As long as the "model" was still being manufactured, was considered a "current" motor,even if had been sitting around in inventory for a few years.
Unless a significant change ,year to year a motor would keep the same model number. It also helped repair shops in that it reduced the number of catalog and shop manuals needed, as well as simplified parts lookup. Minor part changes and improvements were dealt with simply by a part numbers automatically updated and superseding the old one, when looked up or ordered. Model numbers are now only added or changed when a significant new change or addition occurs.

Example of how Yamaha now treats it, likely most manufacturers are now:
Do a sample parts lookup, you will see model YEARS ,went away in 2006.
[URL]http://www.yamahaonlineparts.com/pages/OemParts[/URL]
Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Yamaha were good motors but the parts price and availability and the very few Yamaha dealers kept me away. At least with Merc and OMC you could normally find a part without searching to far away when you were on a trip.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=MarkG;4845881]No more model years for Yamaha outboards. Pretty sure most if not all manufacturers also.

Yamaha outboards, for instance, quit using year designations as of 2006. Prior to that, built into the model number was also a code that indicated the year of manufacture. Even if there was no change in the next year, the model NUMBER would change even if the motor was identical to the previous year. That all ended after 2005.

Starting in 2006 regardless of the year of manufacture, if the motor did not change, neither did the model number. There were no more indications as to what year the motor was manufactured ,(other than maybe a non permanent sticker somewhere on the motor, maybe by a QC inspector,etc.)

This was of benefit to dealers,in that, if they had some aged inventory, they no longer had to sell at a discount as "non current" . As long as the "model" was still being manufactured, was considered a "current" motor,even if had been sitting around in inventory for a few years.
Unless a significant change ,year to year a motor would keep the same model number. It also helped repair shops in that it reduced the number of catalog and shop manuals needed, as well as simplified parts lookup. Minor part changes and improvements were dealt with simply by a part numbers automatically updated and superseding the old one, when looked up or ordered. Model numbers are now only added or changed when a significant new change or addition occurs.

Example of how Yamaha now treats it, likely most manufacturers are now:
Do a sample parts lookup, you will see model YEARS ,went away in 2006.
[URL]http://www.yamahaonlineparts.com/pages/OemParts[/URL][/QUOTE]

How do you explain this......

[url]http://www.brobeilmarine.com/yamaha.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.brobeilmarine.com/evinrude.htm[/url]
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Bobby Winds;4846009]How do you explain this......

[url]http://www.brobeilmarine.com/yamaha.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.brobeilmarine.com/evinrude.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

I would explain it as incorrect. I referenced the iBoats link in the Crestliner thread that clearly states Yamaha no longer uses model year. BRP uses build year but not specifically model year.

My guess is this is the dealer you bought your boat from and you trust him with your life so I don't know what to tell you beyond that.