Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Non resident fishing license costs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Non resident fishing license costs

Just looking at SD & ND non resident fishing license costs. I noticed they have a husband and wife license for the same cost as 1 adult license. That's a pretty sweet deal. Chime in if your state offers some deals for NR's. In Maryland and Delaware, they offer a boat license for tidal water fishing. In MD, it's a $50 fee and covers anyone on your boat. No individual license required. Unfortunately it doesn't cover freshwater fishing. I'd like to see states offer a boat license. Last minutes guests would be covered and no need to search for a license at the last minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, those 'family' licenses are a good deal so long as one remembers that it just allows 1 limit and not 2, even though there can be 2 people fishing.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

I'd like to see very high fishing and hunting license costs for non-residents. The western states have proven that high license costs do not deter people from coming in to enjoy the fish and game that they offer and they can take very good care of the resource with the added revenue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
I'd like to see very high fishing and hunting license costs for non-residents. The western states have proven that high license costs do not deter people from coming in to enjoy the fish and game that they offer and they can take very good care of the resource with the added revenue.
I'm not so sure of that, at least not in CA. At the shop I spent 6 years at we never sold any out of state licenses. They were 100 bucks plus and more if you wanted to fish saltwater. Can't comment on hunting licenses as we weren't in a particularly great area for that
Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the post explaining that those married couple only get one limit. Being single I might not have thought to much of those licenses otherwise. An all year out of state license should be pretty expensive. I am all for states having 3 -7 day out of state licenses that are fairly cheap. Someone that comes up for a few days charter fishing should not have to lay out allot of money for a license. For lake Michigan fishing you still have to pay for the salmon and trout stamp. I have run in to that issue taking a friend out fishing. They are only going to go on lake michigan once per year. They will not spend the money on the salmon and trout stamp so they do not go. I always thought their should be a three or four dollar stamp that would be good for 2 days a year.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_obvious View Post
I'm not so sure of that, at least not in CA. At the shop I spent 6 years at we never sold any out of state licenses. They were 100 bucks plus and more if you wanted to fish saltwater. Can't comment on hunting licenses as we weren't in a particularly great area for that
Well no offence but I wouldn't spend a nickel in that state for anything! States with attractive species to pursue will get plenty of takers.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Resident Freshwater fishing in Texas $30 year.
Non-resident Freshwater fishing in Texas $58 year.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

C.S. Lewis
Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I would like to see very high license fees for residents since they are the ones that use their resource the most...argument goes both ways....but in reality raising the cost of anything the way things are is just ridiculus

Last edited by B-lou; 12-10-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess the prices don't deter wealthy folks from the higher costs of NR hunting and fishing licenses. Being retired and on S.S. I've stopped fishing some states due to increasing license costs. NY state lowered their NR fishing license this year. They found that with the increased costs, fewer licenses were sold, and in the end they were losing revenue.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

When you factor in the cost of traveling to another state and the costs associated with those out of state trips increased costs are a very small cost of the trip. If you are just crossing the state line, like where I live, our landings have as many Indiana plates as Michigan, so the non-residents don't use the resource as much holds no water. State residents are paying many added costs to support our state. The non-resident only chips in for what he is taking out.