Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
EcoBoost Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Keeper

Default EcoBoost Question

How many miles on your ecoboost before the fuel mileage started to go up? I'm pretty disappointed right now as we bought a 2013 and a 2014 and neither one has hit even 16mpg. Wife's is a 2013 limited with every bell and whistle you can get and 3.73 gears. Mine is 2014 with max tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Minnow

Default Mileage...

Well I've got 24k on my 2012 (ext. cab long box w/ max tow) & haven't seen any significant gains. With the max tow & or 3.73 gears you're not going to see the advertised mileage with these things IMO. One thing I will say is that the ecoboost does not like is cold & wind, my mileage goes down a good 4 mpg in the winter (I attribute some of that to the 5 minutes that I let it warm up before driving though). I get an average of a little better than 14 in winter (city/highway) & in the summer it's right around 18 for the same mix. On longer highway trips w/o a lot of wind it's right around 20, best I've seen is 21. Where I feel these things shine is in the towing department. I was pretty skeptical going from a 3/4 ton GM w/ the 6.0 V8, but this truck will honestly tow circles around it & get better mileage doing it.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with snowman. My 2013 is averaging 16 city/highway this winter. That includes warm up time. On out of town trips in the summer I can get 21 if I am easy on the gas.

In the end the mileage is no worse than the 5.4 in my previous truck, but this one pulls and accelerates with abandon. That is what I hoped for.

Mine is also a max tow geared truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Keeper

Mine is a 2012 with a tow package. I get around 14 maybe 15 when it gets below 32 DEG. but i really dont care, i didnt buy it for gas mileage i bought it for pulling my boat and hauling stuff. I guess if i was looking for gas mileage i would of bought a car
Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the info. They'll be switching over to summer blend fuel here in the next month or so. I'll watch it and see if it comes up. I'd be happy to at least see better fuel mileage then my '01 Superduty.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

6500miles here lifetime avg is 12.9. 13 with max tow. the cold has more to do with your trans oil not warming to operating temperatures of over 190 degrees more than the winter blend of gas. when it is less than 20 degrees my trans temp will not get above 160 therefore the engine has to work a little harder than normal.

cold and wind = crap mpg for EB

our fuel is so bad in the US that the winter/summer blend is really not a valid argument any more.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

2012 Eco 3.31 rear super crew 6.5' box.

This winter average 15.5mpg Not much highway mostly suburb driving 25 mph to 55mph. Average stop and go. Last year when it was warmer in the winter, the truck hovered around 16mpg. Summer time 17 to 17.5 mpg with the same type of driving. Highway cruise I've seen a tick under 23mpg in the summer. That's with average wind and pretty flat ground. Pulling a Lund 1700 with a good load and the 6.5' bed loaded to the top on the yearly Mn. vacation, was something like 15ish going up and 16ish coming home with the cruise set at 64mph. Can't recall the exact mileage though.

We let the truck warm up in the winter which I know affects the mileage. Plus, the transmission will tend to stay in a lower gear longer to get the motor up to operating temps when it's cold out which definitely hurts mileage.

I did see a slight increase in mileage after 15000 miles. Not much but some. Maybe a consistent .5mpg better, I think.

Now I believe one of the most important factors in any vehicle mileage is the driver. I can consistently get 1 to 2 mpg better than the wife in the same driving conditions. Different driving styles same truck.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillysmi View Post
our fuel is so bad in the US that the winter/summer blend is really not a valid argument any more.
I'll raise the BS flag on that one. It sure does affect it.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
I'll raise the BS flag on that one. It sure does affect it.
about 1/5-2% it does. others like ethanol , low tire pressure , cold internal temps of motor and bad or less than par fuel all up up to 25% etc...

I agree it has something to do with it but it is minimal.

back to OP- I think you will get better mileage but will not be the 21-22 that is posted on the sticker. the 3.73's will limit the hwy mileage unless you drive 50. The amount of power that these new vehicles have it is amazing they get the mileage they do.

Nice trucks otherwise!

Last edited by gillysmi; 03-05-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm on my second EcoBoost; this one a '13 with the Max Tow package (3.73) and rarely see 16mpg in any driving conditions. It has about 13,000 miles on it so far. It gets a solid 8-9mpg towing a 16' enclosed trailer or 16' open trailers with a total trailer/load weight of about 4500#.

My previous '11 was a short box with the 3:55 and it got better mileage but nothing to brag about. I think that one had 68,000 miles on it when I traded it off.

The moral of the story is, the EcoBoost has all the power Ford claims it to have but falls woefully short of the fuel economy claims. Under ideal conditions they do decent but I seldom to never drive under ideal conditions. In real world conditions (type and speed of driving, wind, etc) the fuel economy is average at best compared to other similar trucks with V8s. I'm hearing very good things as far as fuel economy goes from the guys running the 5.0L V8. I might very well go that direction the next time around. I also have a F250 with the 6.7L PowerStroke so the EcoBoost isn't my primary tow vehicle anyway.

On a positive note, the F150s drive very well, has plenty of room and have been trouble free for me.