Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
RCL - SOME PRO SLOBS RUIN FISHING ON ERIE - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 05-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Not Pleased

Default RCL - SOME PRO SLOBS RUIN FISHING ON ERIE

After fishing on the lake Saturday, I a ran into some RCL Pros who are slobs! They think they can run any way and where they can. I was fishing and had an RCL 'Pro' troll almost into my boat. He didn't care!

When I informed him and his two partners that I was not under power and dift fishing and that he needed to do something to avoid hitting my vessle.

He then let out the usual four letter words and almost hit me.

I am sure MOST RCL Pros are not rude or foul mouthed, but if this is what the sponsors are supporting, then they should think about the bad name some so called 'pros' are giving to their companys and maybe think of getting out of the tournament sponsoring business. I don't
want to buy anything from them if that's what they support.

This is not an isolated case with the RCL. This tournament has some people who just don't care!

I think the Ohio Division of Watercraft and the RCL Tournament organizers should lay down the law to those who think because they
are pros and are using tournaments to make their living, that they now have a 'right' to do what they want!

Once money enters the equation, people start to act differently. Those of us who enjoy sport fishing in Ohio welcome others as our guests, but those who view this privelege as a means of making money and forget about laws and common couresty should not have the same privelege.

With all the contraversies regarding tournaments and their impact on the fishery, the RCL and other organizations must realize that pre-tournament days and tournament days are not just for them! They have no special rights or privileges.

They rather should set a good example. I am sure most do, but I am hearing from people that things are getting out of hand. If it gets much worse, you can bet there will be a referendum on the Ohio ballot regarding the banning of fishing tournaments in the state and in other states as well.

Let's hope it won't come to that, but RCL leaders and fisherman must understand that tournment fishing is not about making a 'buck' any way you can. It's about being a good sportsperson and carrying about others as well.

Perhaps the RCL should set up a hot line so non-pros can call in the numbers of those violators and after an investigation deduct points or disqualify those who are acting in a unsportman like manner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Keeper

Default RE: RCL - SOME PRO SLOBS RUIN FISHING ON ERIE

I can't tell you how many times on the local lakes this happens to me , it is just part of fishing anymore . This is not just a tourney thing . Think back has it ever happen to you before when everyone was just fishing ? I think the best way to avoid it is to ignore whoever is the problem , no one owns the lake . It helps if you catch a big one everytime they troll or drift by , if they are in hearing distance ask them if the size limit is still 28 inches on the lake case you have turned 10 back that big .

Old 05-27-2003, 05:44 PM
chopper

Give them a tail swoop, they'll learn or run out of tackle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Fuzzy

we just got back and although we saw a few RCL competitors in the
area, we did not have that problem. they were respective and kept
a nice distance. what seemed disapointing as that they all (at one time or another) and popped in waypoints on our trolling path. the
net goes out and they come off plane and move in. you guys are big money pro's -- find your pattern and be a man -- the wife says the
rcl guys are blow wanna be pwt guys
Old 05-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Out fishing the "PRO"

I actually like it when a "PRO" fishes next to me!! You can watch and see what they are doing. When they aren't catchin any and you are it makes my entire day. And when you do catch that 29" and then let it go right as they are watching it is the funniest sight in the world!!! You could almost make a priceless commercial from it. haha.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Keeper

NP;
Not to be a fly in the ointment here, but it is possible, depending on your direction of drift and the "RCL" boat's course, that you were the give way vessel in this meeting situation. Common courtesy in this situation is for the vessel under power to give way and steer clear, but it is not the rule.

I do not know which way the wind was blowing Saturday because I was not out there, but lets say it was out of the west and you were drifting to the east. Even though you are not under power, you are still a power driven vessel underway not making way as you are not at anchor, not aground or tied fast to a pier or wharf, you are no more priveledged than a power driven vessel underway making way (under power). Lets say another vessel, the "RCL" boat is trolling on a due north course and you both are clearly going to collide if neither alters course. In this situation you are the give way vessel and it is your responsibility to alter course to starboard and give way. If the "RCL" boat was trolling in a southerly direction he would become the give vessel and you would be the stand on vessel. Hard to imagine, but true.

I am not trying to defend this guy or say you were in the wrong, just trying to clarify the "Rule of the Road" in this situation.

Tracy

Old 05-27-2003, 07:54 PM
brutus

I HAVE JUST COME HOME FROM MY FIRST PWT EVENT AS AN AMAUTER AT LAKE OF THE WOODS THE PROS I WAS WITH HAD BETTER BOAT MANNERS THAN MANY WEEKEND FISHERMEN. I KNOW THE PWT IS VERY SERIOUS HAVING A GOOD IMAGE. TWO OF THE THREE PROS I FISHED WITH EVEN INVITED ME TO COME FISH WITH THEM IN A NON COMPETIVE SETTING
Old 05-27-2003, 08:17 PM
jv

ahhh the tail swoop good call...then circle back to pick up any floating plugs
Old 05-28-2003, 04:19 AM
Erie Addict

I always have a musky rod on deck rigged with 80# power pro and a big, heavy bucktail. It usually gets the message across.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

As a vessel not under power, you are required to follow the same rules as everyone else out there. Stopping and setting up a drift in the middle of a pack of trollers is a great way to cause a problem. Most of the RCL boats I know follow the rules as well or better than most normal Joe Boaters out there. Calm down a little.