Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
spawning walleyes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 03-23-2001, 11:43 AM
Keeper

Default spawning walleyes

Guys and gals, what are your feelings about taking walleyes during the spawn either sportfishing or commercially ? I would really like to know your thoughts on this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2001, 01:57 PM
walleyeless

Default RE: spawning walleyes

When I fish in my ex-home state of WI I do catch walleyes. I personally keep eating fish, those less than 18 to 20 inches - or that one to add to the wall. The prime breaders go back. With fiberglass replicas even the wall hangers would go back as long as I have a camera, scale and tape measure (and I always do).

Depending on your frequency of fishing/catching you might try another approach.

Walleyeless
Old 03-23-2001, 02:40 PM
Paul

Big ones back except for the one for the wall.Big spawners release.Smaller fish tasty.I use to milk the eggs out of the big females but now prefer to release them.After spawn all fair game.I like to take there picture also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I know this will really upset some people, but starting in the next few days (weeks) on Lake Erie, with 4 fish limits, there will be lots of 8 to 12 pound fish being taken. Most people will target these fish and will probably cull weakened fish to do it, which I don't agree with, but will happen never the less.

It's a grand thing to be politically correct and say you're going to put the big females back, but I think those big sows have been spawning for years and years and are nearing the end of there useful breeding life. Those smaller 15-20" females have years and years of spawn ahead of them, so in a convoluted way maybe the guys keeping the small ones are taking the wrong ones. Quite a few of those big females don't even drop their eggs during the spawn. I've never caught a smaller female that still had eggs in May.

If I have to make the choice between keeping a 6 pound male and an 8-12 pound female with eggs, the female will go back. If the eggs have been dropped already, the female will go in the livewell or cooler, and then home to the broiler or fry pan.

Old 03-23-2001, 07:22 PM
Gary k

Ive fished the detroit river 30-45 times a year and ive watched probably tens of thousands of 8+ walleyes go home, Ive been responsible for my fair share also. Ive smartened up over the last few years after watching simcoe perch just about die out. I have no problem with anyone taking home a large or limit of fish. What I have a problem with is people will fish 3-4-45 days straight and keep a limit every day and it doesnt matter what size they are, you have to admit, you would eat a 2 over a 9 any day. Wait till the run is slowing keep the smaller ones then. And if you are one of those that fishes every day and keeps your limit i hope the fish cops get you and take everything away, there is no place for greed like yours on any river.My two cents.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:51 AM
Slot Fish

I agree gary fished the same river,a lot I've saw and done some pretty stupid things.Now I keep nothing over 2# to eat and bring a camera.I think during the spawn the females all go back,the more that do will help compensate for the meat hunters.Hey gary where about's you from A'burg, LaSalle or windsor I fish the river alot too maybe we could get out or meet out there and do lots of catch and releasing e me if you get a chance
Old 03-24-2001, 11:23 AM
rh

My two cents is that A N Y fish with milt or eggs in it should be an immediate release, i'm not saying you can't fish for them but if they haven't bread put them back!!! If everybody would put their spawnng fish back the lake would be back to N O R M A L
So if you catch a spawnng fish, wich they don't all breed at the same time you should put them back and look out for the future of the fisheries!! The amount that sportsman take would definately make a difference!!!
Old 03-24-2001, 12:25 PM
Cangl

Fishings better than its ever been, and the amount of water
that were intitled by terrotory (ERIE) that may relieve some of the worry. I think of that fall night and the splash and crash buzz bait limit and smile.
Old 03-24-2001, 05:35 PM
Gary

From Windsor fish out of L.A. usually but i chase everywhere, and im sure weve probably met. tightlines
Old 03-25-2001, 03:17 AM
pepe

I think we should let the walleyes alone during their sponing run. I believe that ontario ran some sort of tests on this subject and found that even if you use catch and release methods, that you have disturbed the fish and it will probably not spawn out. thats why walleyes have a closed season in minnesota and ontario. for my part, i leave them alone until after the spawning run. good fishing to all!