Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2011 Colordao Unit 2 Antelope hunt - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default 2011 Colordao Unit 2 Antelope hunt

Well, I burned a bunch of preference points to get this tag. Antelope aren't near and dear to my heart like deer and elk but they are fun to hunt. My buddy took the time off to go with me, thats a good thing. Anyone that knows what Wyoming and Colorado mud is like will understand. We got off on the inside of a downhil section of "road" and were stuck there for the next 20 hours. We had to wait until Sunday AM to give the road a chance to dry or freeze. One bent nerf bar and a small crease behind the rear tire on the drivers side was worth it to get out. It would have been a little over 10 mile walk to Moffat County road 4 that runs along the north edge of the unit to find someone to help. We were well provisioned and had all of the necessary gear to spend the night. Other than an uncomfortable time trying to sleep it wasnt bad. I took an average goat the next evening so I filled the tag. It was a good trip with a little excitement and a filled tag.
If you travel in the country - it pays to be prepared. I had my high lift jack and a winch but there was nothing solid enough to put the jack on and nothing big enough to hook the winch to. What I didnt have with me was my heavy welded V-bar tire chains. I figured the jack and the winch were good enough. NOPE. I'm glad I took my sleeping bag that is rated for -30.
My wife looked at the pictures and all she said was "You don't look that stuck" You have to understand that mud I guess.

The Crusher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0453.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	12000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0461.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	12001  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Nice prairie goat ;-)

Man I've been there.....winches are not much help when you are trying to tie them to sagebrush.

I keep the chains with me 365 days a year and a couple extras because when you throw one in that stuff sometimes you can't find it.

They make a plow-like attachment to throw in the dirt and winch from but I don't have one......don't know anyone that does really.

Sounds like it was a fun trip and a successful hunt.

Sometimes those trips are the ones that are most remembered....