Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gen 1 or Gen 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Minnow

Default Gen 1 or Gen 2

Hey guys whats the difference between the Lowrance Gen 1 and Gen 2's. I can get a HDS 8 Gen 1 from Cabelas for $1200 after rebate. The gen 2 units are around $1700 -1800. Is it worth it to buy the Gen 2? Thanks for the Help. Tight Lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

From what I understand the 2 main improvements that the Gen 2 units have are:

1) Improved processor speed (Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6vT2...eature=related)
2) StructureMap ability with the StructureScan system (here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0s4F...eature=related)

There are probably others improvements that others will mention.

2019 Skeeter WX1910

Last edited by JDP; 03-22-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Info
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Slot Fish

Gen 2 also has twice the memory. You might want to check eBay for used Gen1s as people sell them to upgrade.
I just bought a Gen2 bundle with LSS-1 and got a very good price from www.thedigitaloasis.com
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Minnow

Thanks guys keep it coming
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappieKyle View Post
Gen 2 also has twice the memory.
Where are you getting that information from? Looking on Lowrance's site, the specs for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the same in terms of waypoint storage, routes, and plot trails. The Gen 2 may have more RAM contributing to its faster speed, but its not a benefit to the user in terms of having more usable storage.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
Where are you getting that information from? Looking on Lowrance's site, the specs for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the same in terms of waypoint storage, routes, and plot trails. The Gen 2 may have more RAM contributing to its faster speed, but its not a benefit to the user in terms of having more usable storage.
Thats it. It makes those windows POP!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys whats the difference between the Lowrance Gen 1 and Gen 2's. I can get a HDS 8 Gen 1 from Cabelas for $1200 after rebate. The gen 2 units are around $1700 -1800. Is it worth it to buy the Gen 2? Thanks for the Help. Tight Lines.
Call Lowrance and ask what date is set to stop support/repairs to the Gen 1 units.

I do not know the answer as far as support, but I think the Gen 1 has a two warranty and if they stop support after that, the cost of the unit becomes $600.00 per year.

You may find the extra money for the Gen 2 may be worth it.

Just a thought.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Keeper

Default warrantee

Warrantee for all HDS units is 2 years from date of purchase and then 3 additional years of price break on a replacement unit. Just don't loose your receipt - I tape mine to the inside of the Lowrance box the unit came in.

Martin "Oahe MrL"

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
Yes true about units being same for on board memory for storage. The faster processor in the Gen 2 does give the user StructureMap drawing, they had to put in a faster processor, which also processes the commands faster, i.e. moving between screens, and even when you mark that waypoint or plot. The extra ram helps the faster processor work without freezing up.