Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
International Falls Border Crossing -DWI - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Wallhanger

Have to remember that is a privilege to enjoy the resources that Canada offers to fishermen, not a right. We are guests there, subject to their conditions and rules. Our times in Canada are some of our best memories, way beyond just fishing.The person in question should be prepared to take a bus home. On the surface, 5 years does sound pretty strict, but not for me to decide. In today's climate, I would expect crossings both ways to continue with more, rather than less, scrutiny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

I sure hope we do the same for Canadians but I doubt it. I used to go to Canada a lot back in the day and the fishing can be....well easy and can be very scenic unless you fly over and see all the clear cutting they do. Now with all the rules and what they charge and how well they treat americans Ill pass.It was also nice when Canadian money was 2 for 1 American.Honestly there are places on the US side that can be as good as Canada and a shorter drive.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

Although I am a Canadian this topic perked my interest so I did a little searching.
It was hard to find but here is this page that might clarify some things:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/f...issibility.asp
Another on "deemed rehabilitation"
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/c...ion.asp#deemed

I'm aware of the restrictions on Americans visiting on Lake of the Woods, which is where I live. It seems they the (MNR here)are seriously trying prevent people from staying at US lodges, then crossing the border on the water and taking fish back into the US without having benefiting our economy in any way. But I digress and that's a topic for another thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Keeper

can you fly in to canada if you have DUI, is it only driving in? If you can fly in I wonder why there is a difference?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher_i_am View Post
can you fly in to canada if you have DUI, is it only driving in? If you can fly in I wonder why there is a difference?
There is no difference between entering by air, ground or water.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Keeper

I agree with SinOrSwim, make sure your chap has plans if he is turned back. If he does get caught at border, you might all expect a little extra time to get through as you get checked and rechecked and even searched. That's the risk you run. Please post what happens so the rest of us know. We make sure anyone who has this potential issue expects that there might be problems, but the rest of the core group each year will go on without em.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default Dui

Depending on the outcome of his trial, you might want to have him go to his local police department and ask them to do a criminal history check and see if it even appears on his record. then proceed as necessary.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARDA 1 View Post
Depending on the outcome of his trial, you might want to have him go to his local police department and ask them to do a criminal history check and see if it even appears on his record. then proceed as necessary.
This is such a tricky question. We did pull his background and there is nothing under his "criminal" report. You have to pull up his driving record and it does show "refusal to blow - dismissed". So again here we are still dealing with the same problem, how does Canadian immigration view that? Of course nobody in immigration can tell you a straight answer and attempting to call an immigration attorney gives the same result.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Wallhanger

If it wasn't a conviction he could probably get it exspunged from his record.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jball View Post
This is such a tricky question. We did pull his background and there is nothing under his "criminal" report. You have to pull up his driving record and it does show "refusal to blow - dismissed". So again here we are still dealing with the same problem, how does Canadian immigration view that? Of course nobody in immigration can tell you a straight answer and attempting to call an immigration attorney gives the same result.
Sounds like he was accused and not convicted.... I would get certified copies (from the courthouse...certifieds with a seal, etc.) of the case showing the final disposition as something other than a conviction,,,maybe even the docket sheet showing everything that happened in the case. That should prove to most reasonable people that if anything comes up it was not a conviction. And, volunteer nothing, if asked were you ever convicted say no and if asked say accused but iut wass dismissed because they had no case... I was not drunk.