Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Common new boat problems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Minnow

Default Common new boat problems

I'm new to this site and was hoping to tap in to other people's experience.

I'll be picking up my new Explorer Sport 1825 in a couple of weeks. I'm excited, it's my first new boat.

I want to make sure all is well when I bring home my new toy. Having never picked up a new boat before I'm wondering what the more common issues might be. Are there any common problems that I should look for with setup, rigging or mechanical systems that might go unnoticed? I just want to give everything a good look before it leaves the dealer.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

1. Is the motor mounted square and on center?
2. Does it have teh right prop for your boat and application ro what he had laying around?
3. Is the boat set on the trailer properly?
4. Are there any rip or tears in the seat ro carpet or "extra" holes in the rig from installing accessories or electronics? Installers can be a little crude, especially when in a hurry.
5. Do ALL the accessories and components work? Lights, horn, navigation lights, electronics, etc.
6. Make sure you undertand exactly how the warranty works, if you have an issue. Find out what the dealer understand as his responsibility and what he understands to be the factories responsibility. Same with the motor.
7. Look over all the graphics to make sure none are peeling, scratched or misapplied. If so, take pcitures before you leave the dealer.
8. Make sure you got the batteries you ordered.
9. Make sure you got the "extras" you ordered. Fire extinguisher, Coast Guard stuff, etc.
10. Make sure the windshield is straight.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

and,,,,,
While I realize it's winter, ask them to start the motor(s) on a set of muffs
Make sure the trailer lights (and reverse lock-out if included) work
Check the trailer tire pressures and lug nuts
Make sure the tie-down straps are on, and the winch strap is tight

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Keeper

Congrats on new boat! If you picked your dealer well you will not have to worry. I am pretty sure most Lund dealers are above the normal. I hope I don't have to eat my words because I am going to pick up my new one next week.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
and,,,,,
While I realize it's winter, ask them to start the motor(s) on a set of muffs
Make sure the trailer lights (and reverse lock-out if included) work
Check the trailer tire pressures and lug nuts
Make sure the tie-down straps are on, and the winch strap is tight

HRG
FWIW, some of those things were NOT correct on the last boat I bought. I insisted on correcting the errors I spotted before I would even put the trailer on my hitch.

You should receive manuals for :
- the boat
- the motor
- the trailer
- instructions for mounting the motor to the boat
and more
Read them all- I found several things that were not set up correctly , according to the manuals. If you have a really good dealer and mechanic, all will be correct. If not, take the boat back and insist on having things set up to as the factory instructs. The dealer and his mechanic rarely know better than the factory.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Wallhanger

You have started a good thread for new boat buyers. Maybe some of the dealers will read this also. Some of my compartments had metal shavings in then, should have been vacuumed out. My trolling motor batteries were wired for 12v, should have been 24v. Boat was hanging over the back of the trailer by 6 or 8". They took the easy out setting the tongue weight, axle should have been moved. Kicker motor had oil leaking from under the hood, they laid it on it's side and oil ran out the carb. I wouldn't accept the kicker, they ordered me a mew one. Within a week the service manager was fired. These were all dealer related problems. I've had zero problems with the boat in 2 yrs. Print a list and take it with you, give a copy to the dealer too.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerBee View Post
I'm new to this site and was hoping to tap in to other people's experience.

I'll be picking up my new Explorer Sport 1825 in a couple of weeks. I'm excited, it's my first new boat.

I want to make sure all is well when I bring home my new toy. Having never picked up a new boat before I'm wondering what the more common issues might be. Are there any common problems that I should look for with setup, rigging or mechanical systems that might go unnoticed? I just want to give everything a good look before it leaves the dealer.

thanks!

I'm an ex- Lund dealer (retired)
This particular boat will have been rigged almost entirely at the factory.
After it arrived from Lund, the dealer should have checked all functions.
A good dealer will give you an orientation session, where in ...you and he(or tech, or salesman) will be in the boat while he goes over all features and accessories.
Good time to leave the kids at home. You don't want distractions.

Great boat. I run an Explorer, myself.
Enjoy!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

I worked for a Lund dealer many, many years ago for a short time. I would check everything listed here and more.

Rigging a boat correctly can be a very time consuming ordeal. It's been a while so my time may be off here but as I recall it took a solid couple of days to rig a boat tip to tail. I personally saw boats get rushed through to get it down the road. Now many boats come from the factory with the main motor mounted but run through this list and think about how long it should take.

1. Mount the main motor.
2. Mount the kicker.
3. Mount the windshield.
4. Install electronics in the bow, helm and sometimes the stern.
5. Install and wire all batteries. Sometimes 5.
6. Mount the bow mount trolling motor.
7. Mount the motor mounting trolling motor.
8. Run all wires and lines for above. Sometimes a 2 man job.
9. Assemble trailer and adjust to fit boat.
10. Check over entire boat to find factory defects. Yes, it happens.
11. Make sure all live and bait wells work.
12. Wet test if possible.
13. Detail ENTIRE boat, inside and out.
14. Document all serial numbers for warranty purposes and associated paperwork.
15. Clean up you mess!

Even at an hour each that's a bunch of work to do on one boat. You can see why they get rushed when the dealer gets busy.

Every dealer can and will have issues. The good dealers take care of the issues in a timely fashion correctly. The poor dealers don't. Never trust your dealer entirely. It's your boat, not his.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Slot Fish

Default setup

Watch for the simple things as well. I was pleased with the dealer and the service guys in setting up my boat, a thorough water test. I thought everything was fine. I only realized the warning horn was not working when I started the motor when I got home. It alerts you to overheating, changing the lower unit fluid etc. I live 6 hours away from the dealer I purchased at. I figured it was an Suzuki problem and took it to a local Suzuki dealer. I explained the problem and when I came to get the boat was told it was a Starcraft issue not a Suzuki fault. They would not cover the problem-new horn and wiring. You can see where this is going, I was in the middle of a pissing contest between this dealer and the one I purchased from. I had to pay $175 and got no help from anyone.
Lesson learned check everything out and be sure it's right. Ask lots of questions.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Keeper

Default boat

I have a new 1825 Ex sport sitting at the dealer too. I agree with all above. When I go to pick mine up I will be giving it a test run on the water. Most of the time if you have a good dealer you probably won't run into too many issues. The new boats I have purchased I have had very few issues. You have to look them over the best you can. Good luck with the boat!!