Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best insect repellent for the insects of Canada? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Keeper

Default Best insect repellent for the insects of Canada?

What works the best for mosquitos and biting flys? Also, has anyone tried those portable units that work using a butane? Sorry if this has all ready been discussed. This is my first post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, the best insect repellant is Deep Woods Off. There may be better ones but not readily available. The butane units do work in the boat, especially for the flies. But they work for mosquitos also...as long as it's not windy.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I agree... deep woods off is the way to go. Unless you're wanting to use some super expensive stuff... this is the best economic/performance spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Deet products in general. Don't get the type that are "perfumed" up as they really stink.

Some rules with Deet IMO are: Don't put it on your skin. Spray it around your ankles on your pants and maybe around your hat or the hat itself. Don't breath the mist or fog of this stuff. DO NOT GET IT ON PLASTIC. It attacks depth finder screens and plastic eye glass lens without mercy. Other than that, it is a great product..........

The best way to get away from the ankle biters is to wear light chore boots in the boat. Or at the least something more substantial than a pair of socks! They even bite through the fabric on tennis shoes. High top hiking boots are ok for some folks.

Mosquito coils in the cabin is usually a big plus, but when you get home everything will smell like the coils. It's worth it if you've ever tried to go to sleep in a mosquito infested cabin in July! You don't want to read the label on these either.............. I've sort of grown to like the smell of mosquito coils over the years, reminds me of where I'm at or wished I was. Here again, don't buy the "perfumed" up coils. They stink worse than the "perfumed" up Deet. Actually I prefer the cabin full of mosquitoes to the smell of the "perfumed" coils.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 04-06-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling of course....
Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Me again. Couple more thoughts. There's something about having a butane burner in the boat and a plastic fuel tank that makes me really edgy.

One of my old fishing partners always smoked a pipe and never shut up. He had the audacity to up and die one winter. Really didn't miss him all that much until I realized he had been keeping the bugs off of us for years. Deet or second hand smoke? hmmmm...

Fishing in the narrows with the other camp's two strokes sometimes helps, too.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Minnow

Deep Woods Off or Muskol work fine....spray it on at the dock and away from your rods and tackle.I also find that when I eat more citrus friut (oranges) and wear light colored clothes the mosquitos are not as bothersome.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
D-15

Default The Best

If you can find it, the best I have ever used is Amway D-15. Expensive but it is the best by far. Deep Woods would be second.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Minnow

Our group was up in canada one year and the no-see-ums must of chewed 5lbs of meat off me, brutal. So ill have to agree with other people here that deep woods off works the best, even for the 1/2 lb mosquitos. Good luck fishing
Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Repel with high Deet content, 27 or thereabouts, works well if I feel the need for a repellent.

My FIL used to be really bugged by bugs. Once when we were re-roofing a cabin he was working on the bush side and I was doing the lake side. He was cussing up a storm and I asked him what was getting him into such a lather. He said the mosquitos were relentless. I thanked him for keeping them all on his side because there weren't any on my side. Bugs of all kinds got to him, even as they seemed to let me alone.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Slot Fish

Anything with Permanone in it works wonders. DO NOT put it on your skin, only have to treat your clothing once every 2 weeks or so. I always spray my hat and my fishing jacket down. The mosquitoes don't come anywhere near me. The stuff has to be good its what the military uses.