Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any woodworkers? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default Any woodworkers?

Just a quick question. I do a fair amount of woodworking. some furniture, shelving etc. My wife and sons along with their wives and some friends have told me I should start selling some items. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it more headache than value? If you have done successfully, what method of selling did you use? I'm going to retire in 4 1/2 years, and she already has me working again!
Thanks!

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Sportfish1, I have a good friend that I fish with who is retired. Over the years he has made a number of pieces of furniture, cabinets, and smaller items for both friends, clients, and family members. He said friends usually expect it for nothing, clients expect it for next to nothing, and family members...... what can you say! The toughest part is coming up with a fair price that both you and the recipient can agree upon. And usually people feel they can get it cheaper at the "Big Box" stores and aren't necessarily willing to pay for something handmade with quality and tender loving care. I'd say if you are not concerned with a profit margin but wish to do it because you really enjoy it, then go for it. Lou
Old 01-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

One good way to sell these type of items is at a consignment shop that sells "craft items."
They might charge a 20% fee or so for their efforts and overhead, but you don't have to deal with the customers.

Another way to do it is to advertise on Craigs list that you make custom items and attract customers that way. Then, the customer comes to you, they request a custom piece, agree on a price and when the item is finished, you have a guaranteed sale.

Another thing that one can do is to go to a furniture store that sells Amish furniture. See how the custom items being made compare to the items being sold at the Amish furniture store. You can also check the prices that the store is getting for the Amish items as another comparison.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

You don't say whether you want to keep it fun or rely on it for income. Keep it simple and go by word of mouth. If you're good, lots of folks will let you know.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

No deals
No special discounts
Only thing free is your advice.

You do it once and you are screwed forever.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Wallhanger

I met a woodworker at the art show in Ely, MN last year. I bought a frame for my Dad's Veterans flag. He also had some basic shelves and chests. He also made custom cabinets by the job. He told me he does woodworking part-time and did 3 to 4 art shows each year to sell some stuff and promote his business. Seems to me like a good plan for a someone who wants to sell a few pieces each year.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lou View Post
... friends usually expect it for nothing,
clients expect it for next to nothing,
and family members...... what can you say!
The toughest part is coming up with a fair price that both you and the recipient can agree upon. And usually people feel they can get it cheaper at the "Big Box" stores and aren't necessarily willing to pay for something handmade with quality and tender loving care. I'd say if you are not concerned with a profit margin but wish to do it because you really enjoy it, then go for it. Lou
Pretty much sums it up. The general population is used to seeing prices from products manufactured in other countries. You can barely buy the wood for the cost the general population is used to paying. General population doesn't want to pay for quality custom wood products. Your paying clientele will be the top wage earners in your area.

I too am a wood worker and my sons told me to start a business the last time I was layed off. I've researched the local craft shows and price breaks. Your market is going to be custom wood products and that isn't cheap, so it better be top quality.

My bathroom cabinets I made for the wife. I remodeled the whole bathroom, down to the studs and built new cabinets. Did the same thing in the kitchen.
By the way, there aren't any fasteners holding the cabinets together. It all wood joints, spines and glue. Only screws is the hinges, drawer slides, and handles.

Like that mirror like finish?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1168.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	237498

Name:	DSCN1172.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	237506

Name:	DSCN1175.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	237514

Last edited by Hanr3; 01-07-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for all the advice! I dip my toes in the pool first I guess, no jumping in the deep end.

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I dip my toes in the pool first I guess, no jumping in the deep end.
This is the club I belong to, if the link works, look at some of the stuff these guys turn out, pretty impressive.

http://www.mnwwg.org/

Al
Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Keeper

A good friend of mine does woodworking and partnered up with a person that has a booth at a antique shop. He does very well selling rocking horses, bird houses, gunning duck decoys and other items. He works when he wants and makes what he wants to.