Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Barney spoon??? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Minnow

Default Barney spoon

The Barney Fish Lure Co., 1064 Ravena Road, Kent, OH, Phone 330 673-5202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
dcraven

I've used a barney spoon for years - first picked one up at the Cleveland Sportshow in roughly 1989. I've used them for bass, here in the rice on Leech Lake and the surrounding lakes. Pike like them, and they are not big baits, so fish a leader ahead of them if the pike are of any size. The weakness to the barney is the weedless wire - the attachment is somewhat weak and eventually breaks. As far as eliciting strikes from bass/pike - it is hard to beat. Yes - Ohio is where the maker is...
Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
firemedic59

Default Thank you

I want to thank every one on here for the info on where to get the barney spoon bait. my grandfather fished with them and after he died I got all of his. I lost my last one on a bass last year in canada and was heartbroken you guys have made my day. Thank you.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM
daleb

Default Barney Spoons

Great pike bait! I own over 24 of them in various colors. I add my own rubber skirt and grub and the spoon works great just below topwater. Best colors are orange spoon with red skirt and white spoon with red skirt.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
kentuckybassman

Default The Barney Spoon - bass slayer!

The barney spoon is manufactured in Kent, Ohio and has been for years. Members of our fishing crew have used this lure (or one like it) exclusively in Ontario, CANADA at the Conroy Marsh/Madawaska Valley area. (York River and the Little Mississippi Rivers) Perfect for large mouth in that water. Great for pike too if that's your thing. Dark colors have always worked best for bass - light colors do well for pike in that water. Cannot imagine a walleye hitting this on the surface....possible I am sure - small mouth rarely hit this lure on top water in this area of water we fish in Canada - I have witnessed this a few times over the last 31 years but it is rare.

It is the ultimate bass lure in areas where there is alot of undergrowth as well as hyacynths, weeds and lilypads. Throw back in and reel through. It is a weedless surface spoon but the trick is being able to catch them when they are hitting short. Buy Number 1 trailing hooks and fix to the primary hook.

I have been told this story of the lure through the years -

The forerunner to the barney spoon / lure was originally developed by a man named Eddie Drake, a US citizen who later was granted dual citizenship after marrying a French Canadian lady. Grandpap and Dad started going to Eddie Drake's camp in Boulter, Ontario in 1959 - Dad has not missed a year since he started and oftens goes two or three times per summer.

I have used a barney spoon in Arkansas but without the success I have had in Canada. I suspect not enough undergrowth etc.

Not sure when the Barney Spoon, or derivatives very similar to it, were developed. Bud Fry owned another camp on this same water and eventually developed his own lure shop in the basement of the lodge. Bud developed cancer in about 1996 and passed a year or so later. His lure the "Weedancer" had an eyelet soldered to the front of the lure as opposed to the barney spoon which has a hole punched in the end to tie.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Barney Spoon / Weed Dancer

Agree totally with the last post about the Barney Spoon . Ironically enough , I fish the exact same waters in Boulter , Ontario Canada . The Little Mississippi River , The Conroy Marsh , and the York River . I have personally had HUGE success with the Barney Lure in this particular area . Even when no one else at the camp was catching anything , I was always producing with the Barney . My best trophy so far was a 42 inch Northern Pike that went over 19 lbs using the larger size black Barney Lure . I have caught several Largemouth Bass that went into the 5 and 6 pound range .The last post is also correct that Bud Frye started making the Weed Dancer back in the late 1970's , which was the Canadian version of the Barney Spoon or Barney Lure . The eyelet at the top gave the Weed Dancer more action on top of the water and the weed guard wire did not break off nearly as easy as on the Barney Spoon . BOTH of these are deadly top water lures and great for pulling out HUGE Largemouth Bass that are laying deep in the cover . You can cast these lures in the heaviest cover and very rarely get hung up . I have also caught Smallmouths up to 4 lbs on these top water spoons . The Weed Dancer business was purchased by another Canadian and continued selling up through the mid 1990's , but I have not been able to find them in the recent years . Bud Frye was my fathers cousin and my family and I have been fishing the Conroy Marsh since the 1950's . One small mistake from the last post though , Bud Frye died in 1990 and he is buried in the cemetary right there in Boulter . I have endless amounts of pictures showing my success with these two lures mentioned . Anyone that would like to see can hit me up on Facebook . Another great camp to stay is Silgrey Resort on the York River in Boulter . The Quiet Place camp went under back in 2008 , I know someone purchased the camp but not sure if it has been reopened again yet as of today . Ryan Laney , Akron Ohio

Last edited by RYANLANEY; 07-12-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

Some good Barney Spoon info...
Old 05-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Minnow

Default barney spoon

Have used them with great success at evans - got mine from landbigfish.com