Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Getting into muskie fishing... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Getting into muskie fishing...

Have casted quite a bit for muskies in the past, but am wanting to fine tune and learn a few things that might help boat a few more fish since I'm mainly a walleye/crappie/wiper/flathead guy.

I love throwing jerk baits, think it's a great time. They catch some nice pike, but of course I want muskies. Problem is, jerk baits and the like are pretty much all I do. I've got some big 1 ounce bass jigs that I plan on using, but a few questions would be when would you throw such an animal for muskies and pike? Anytime you see a bunch of sticks/brush/weeds you want to get thru?
What kind of trailer would I put on such a jig? A twister tail? Shad/paddletail? 7"? 10"?

I've got quite a few questions about that in particular.

Also, when would you throw an inline spinner, or grandma, or jake, or stuff like that instead of a jerk bait?

You can tell I like to throw jerks and will have a hard time straying away from them, but I want to broaden my skills a little as we will be throwing big baits in about 2 months or so.

Thanks for any info and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 04:51 AM
Wallhanger

I'm kindof in the same spot you are -- I want to do more muskie fishing but it's hard to know where to start. I love to cast as well. My plan is to employ two local guides -- one trip each. One specializes in casting the other vertical jigging in the river channels. Both have a fair amount of success. I figure I'll have a lot of questions answered after those trips.
Good luck
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT
Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

My first suggestion would be to be cautious about how much you spend, easy to end up with several large tackle boxes full of lures and a dozen rods or more, been there done that.

Maybe a dozen different style lures and one each of natural and bright colors.
Learn to work these lures well and add as you need.

Take the barbs off or easier yet, just bend them down, makes releasing the fish much easier and keeps you from cutting a hook and leaving parts of the hook in the fish, imho it can easily kill the fish.
Also makes removing from yourself much easier too.

A couple rods to start, heavy and extra heavy, but remember tossing them huge baits all day can get tiring.

Then go fish.

Where?
Anywhere food is, that being anything from minnows to other muskys, points, bars, islands, bays, outlets of rivers/creeks, etc, look for fish the musky can eat.

Then time on the water will teach you most of what you need.

imho

Al

Old 03-14-2017, 05:04 PM
Minnow

Good advice Al. A six ft pool cue for jerks. Suicks JERKED on a c4., that's jerked down. 7ft sc premier 20-40# c3 80# braid 125# leaders at least 12". No big bass gear, single hooks extremely sharp bcktails in line, no trailers and burn them both. You're not fishing for a 44"er 20# fish. Record 70#. Take it away from a girl hunt for grandmama .

45 years on Leech old school guy.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

I took a step in the right direction last week, but still have a lot to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17796383_1323200477745678_4629409609347592236_n.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	251922  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Keeper

I would recommend release tools such as long needle nose pliers, hook cutters, glove, measuring tape and a large quality net. Also never lay a fish on carpet as it will remove the slim coating and stink your boat up. I started musky fishing 35 years ago with 6 lures. I have WAY to many lures now. Quality equipment and a few lures is all you need.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Wallhanger

Bend the barbs down and you can leave the hook cutter in the storage compartment.

Not a fan of leaving parts of hooks in any fish.

Plus when you finally hook yourself or somebody else does, hooks are a lot easier to get out.

Al
Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Robinson View Post
I took a step in the right direction last week, but still have a lot to learn.
How do we know that's you?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
My first suggestion would be to be cautious about how much you spend, easy to end up with several large tackle boxes full of lures and a dozen rods or more, been there done that.
YEP!! I have wayyyyyy too many baits!!!! Might be selling some at some point.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with throwing Jerk baits if that is what you like, although keep in mind they are all just tools. You will want some that go deeper like big rubber, and those for working shallow, like a nice bobbie. They are fun and can catch fish.

As far as when to throw other lures, that is something you will need to get a feel for. I do not start fishing muskie until the 1-2 second week of June, and I pretty much start right off throwing bucktails, as that is what I like to throw. I will throw some topwater also when conditions warrant it, but I love throwing tails over the top, or through weeds.

If you are looking for some other lure options, buy 2-3 bucktails / topwaters / crank baits and use them versus jerk baits when the conditions warrant it. Sometimes they will chase a bucktail, other times a topwater. As you get more experience you will know what grab under different conditions.

Going out with a guide definetely will increase your learning curve also.

Good Luck

Paulski