Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minnkota Problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Slot Fish

Default Minnkota Problem

I cannot get the prop. to turn on, (all the time) on My new, Power drive II. The unit turns right to left with both remote and foot control, as normal. However, I can hear the Unit "click" when i hit the propeller button, but it does not spin. It will spin, fine if I manuelly spin it,(Starting it by hand) then it turns on, and will spin low to fast as directed to. Any thoughts??

Last edited by fishtician; 03-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like the brushes in the motor are not making good contact with the armature. It may correct itself with a little usage, but if it is new, I would take it back to the dealer for an exchange.

Jerry
Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Fish,
I have repaired a few motors that had stopped working.
When I took them apart, I found that the brushes had been glued in from the factory with armature sealant and could not move in the brush holders.

In several instances, the brand new brushes, never made any contact with the armature and thus would not turn the motor.

Take the motor back for a replacement motor.

Don't have it serviced. You purchased a new motor, you should have a new working motor.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Slot Fish

Dropped it off at the local Minnkota dealer. I did'nt realize that you could buy an up-grade to "I Pilot" kit for these. Looking into that now.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Let us know how it works out.
REW
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtician View Post
I cannot get the prop. to turn on, (all the time) on My new, Power drive II. The unit turns right to left with both remote and foot control, as normal. However, I can hear the Unit "click" when i hit the propeller button, but it does not spin. It will spin, fine if I manuelly spin it,(Starting it by hand) then it turns on, and will spin low to fast as directed to. Any thoughts??
Just had my old PD repaired under warranty. Foot pedal actually smoked. Got it to work a little afterwards but died completely. Pedal was hatched also the crimp connectors for the power plug had begun to melt together slightly. Service guy didn't know for sure which was real culprit but got it done under warranty regardless. It's going with the boat when the new owner gets it.
I had actually put an I-Pilot on it last year. The spot lock and gps controlled tracking was awesome. One bad thing that I couldn't deal with tho....with the Powerdrive you lose the footpedal completely when you add I-Pilot. Try jigging with two rods and running a pendant. Finally took it off and sold it. New boat has Terrova.
Mega 360, Mega Live
Ezee Steps
Cannon Rod Tubes, Traxstech tracks
TKI CNC angle track mounts
Lithium TM Bats w/shunt gauge
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtician View Post
Dropped it off at the local Minnkota dealer. I did'nt realize that you could buy an up-grade to "I Pilot" kit for these. Looking into that now.

i did the ipilot conversion on my PD. money well spent, took a half hour and a little reading of directions. very easy to do