Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Magic Eraser to Shine Up Your Boat - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Keeper

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
I thought those things were rather toxic and seem to remember a warning to wear protective gloves . Are they safe on the plastic motor cowling and the fiberglass
They work great for both. I use them on everything on my boat and motors. I posted a response on here a couple weeks ago about using them to clean up rust spots on old lures or fishing reels...They really work good for about anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Wallhanger

I plan on trying them on some interior surfaces, but not so sure would want to try it on exterior painted surface. They are somewhat abrasive. May scratch or dull the paint.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 AM
Keeper

Default Awesome !!

Thank you Walleye Central !

Another great tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
I plan on trying them on some interior surfaces, but not so sure would want to try it on exterior painted surface. They are somewhat abrasive. May scratch or dull the paint.
The Magic Eraser definitely will dull a painted surface. The key to proper cleaning is to use the least intrusive but yet effective tool and method possible. The Magic Eraser is very effective but IMHO should be used cautiously and only when required. I would not use it on a cowling, any other plastic, fiberglass, or on vinyl. In fact any time I use this product I would do so very carefully and only after testing in an inconspicuous place.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
The Magic Eraser definitely will dull a painted surface. The key to proper cleaning is to use the least intrusive but yet effective tool and method possible. The Magic Eraser is very effective but IMHO should be used cautiously and only when required. I would not use it on a cowling, any other plastic, fiberglass, or on vinyl. In fact any time I use this product I would do so very carefully and only after testing in an inconspicuous place.
That has not been my experience when using it on my Ranger. It acts more like a polishing compound, and hasn't left any dull spots or conspicuous marks after using it. Just the opposite...makes it sparkle.

Even after removing the marks that are sometimes left by the cover after driving a long distance. Those come off with a little elbow grease, with no dulling effect left by scrubbing with a Magic Eraser.

Don't use it near the lettering on a stove though...it will take those right off!!
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Juls,
Are you saying that they are safe to use on the exterior of a Ranger, on the hull and sides, in addition to the seats and consoles?
Thanks, Tom
Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomr View Post
Juls,
Are you saying that they are safe to use on the exterior of a Ranger, on the hull and sides, in addition to the seats and consoles?
Thanks, Tom
I have never had any issues with them being used inside and out. Use it wet and wipe the area with a clean dry towel.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Keeper

Thumbs up Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
That has not been my experience when using it on my Ranger. It acts more like a polishing compound, and hasn't left any dull spots or conspicuous marks after using it. Just the opposite...makes it sparkle.

Even after removing the marks that are sometimes left by the cover after driving a long distance. Those come off with a little elbow grease, with no dulling effect left by scrubbing with a Magic Eraser.

Don't use it near the lettering on a stove though...it will take those right off!!
I used it on my Crestliner, and it made the finish look like it had been waxed to a high sheen. Best bet is to try in an inconspicuous area first to test on our finish. I also avoid the decals.

...||| 2013 .1775. PRO-V SE ---
......\ ----115 MERC 4 STROKE -------
[|||] ------------------------------------- >>>
....../ ---.TERROVA WITH LINK -------
...||| 858c|858c DI|898c SI ---
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Keeper

The Magic Erasers are not really magic (hard to believe, I know), but rather are very finely abrasive. They are very much like rubbing compound in that they work by removing slight layers of foreign matter and/or oxidized paint, etc. If used on a vulnerable paint, they will dull the surface. This is not to say that they do not work very well on the surfaces mentioned above, but it is always best to use anything like this on an inconspicous surface first just to be certain. I love this product and use it quite often for many different applications.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
The Magic Erasers are not really magic (hard to believe, I know), but rather are very finely abrasive. They are very much like rubbing compound in that they work by removing slight layers of foreign matter and/or oxidized paint, etc. If used on a vulnerable paint, they will dull the surface. This is not to say that they do not work very well on the surfaces mentioned above, but it is always best to use anything like this on an inconspicous surface first just to be certain. I love this product and use it quite often for many different applications.
I have used them on all of my boats outside and inside, fiberglass and aluminum... Use them, and I always throw a good coat of wax on the boat when I am done cleaning and have had no problems...