Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking at new 2006 Merc 150 Opti - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Minnow

Default Looking at new 2006 Merc 150 Opti

I'm looking at a nice rig that has "slid through the cracks". Brand new 2006. Think I can buy it right. It has a 2006 150 Opti. Prefer a 4 stroke, but for a new motor and boat at a used price....I can sacrifice. What things should I be concerned with regarding he engine? I know that a new impellar is a good idea. What about rubber hoses on the engine and boa? Been stored indoors all of the time.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2007 150 Opti. Around the 400 hours on it. Love it. Nice find by the way!
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default Stored with fuel in it?

If its been sitting for 9 years with fuel in it all the old fuel should be completely drained before you run it. A new impeller would also seem in order- as you posted- simply because the Opti's impellers are typically replaced every year or two as normal maintenance- and the old one has probably taken a "set" if the motor hasn't been run periodically. Check the remote oil tank and if it's been stored at less than half full you probably should drain it down to nearly empty and refill. The oil system may need to be re-primed afterwards and this can be done by you or a dealer- following the factory procedure exactly.

Before starting, I would suggest pulling the kill switch so the motor won't fire, and putting a tablespoon full of Opti oil down each spark plug hole and 4-5 drops of Opti oil down the air compressor inlet tube which comes out of the compressor and heads up into the air box. Turn the motor over by hand for 2-3 revolutions- with gloves on since Opti flywheel teeth can be pretty sharp. The motor should relatively hard but with no binding. Lastly, I would lube the starter bendix drive shaft and drive gear by turning it up by hand and lightly greasing it with a moly base grease.

Then reinstall the plugs and start. Make sure you use a battery with at least 1000 MCA rating or the engine may run poorly even though there is nothing wrong with it.

Sounds like you've scored a great find!
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the info. This boat is new as is the motor. It is as is from the factory. The only fuel that would be in the engine would be from any running they would do as it came off the assembly line. I'm still concerned about rubber hoses and orings in the engine that have been "dry". They all age....just as the impellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
If its been sitting for 9 years with fuel in it all the old fuel should be completely drained before you run it. A new impeller would also seem in order- as you posted- simply because the Opti's impellers are typically replaced every year or two as normal maintenance- and the old one has probably taken a "set" if the motor hasn't been run periodically. Check the remote oil tank and if it's been stored at less than half full you probably should drain it down to nearly empty and refill. The oil system may need to be re-primed afterwards and this can be done by you or a dealer- following the factory procedure exactly.

Before starting, I would suggest pulling the kill switch so the motor won't fire, and putting a tablespoon full of Opti oil down each spark plug hole and 4-5 drops of Opti oil down the air compressor inlet tube which comes out of the compressor and heads up into the air box. Turn the motor over by hand for 2-3 revolutions- with gloves on since Opti flywheel teeth can be pretty sharp. The motor should relatively hard but with no binding. Lastly, I would lube the starter bendix drive shaft and drive gear by turning it up by hand and lightly greasing it with a moly base grease.

Then reinstall the plugs and start. Make sure you use a battery with at least 1000 MCA rating or the engine may run poorly even though there is nothing wrong with it.

Sounds like you've scored a great find!
Doug
Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Keeper

A great find , First trip should be a testing/break in trip. Use optimax oil, Only use non oxygenated gas. Check the lower unit. Im on my second optimax(98 and 2011) and really like them. Also, do what Staylor said. He gets it right. Pulling the plugs is harder than it looks. Take your time. The Lower port side is the most difficult. I use a 5/8 spark plug socket with a 3/4 wrench to get it out. For the others flex extensions and joints help. Take time and be patient. Have a magnet for when you drop the plugs.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland View Post
A great find , First trip should be a testing/break in trip. Use optimax oil, Only use non oxygenated gas. Check the lower unit. Im on my second optimax(98 and 2011) and really like them. Also, do what Staylor said. He gets it right. Pulling the plugs is harder than it looks. Take your time. The Lower port side is the most difficult. I use a 5/8 spark plug socket with a 3/4 wrench to get it out. For the others flex extensions and joints help. Take time and be patient. Have a magnet for when you drop the plugs.
Get one of these and start the spark plugs into the hole with a piece of rubber gas line pushed over the end of the plug.. It will save you a lot of aggravation.

https://store.snapon.com/Double-Swiv...t-P642284.aspx
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 11-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Minnow

Check with Mercury with the serial number. I don't think it will have a warranty even though it is a new motor. I think 7 years is the limit. I was looking at repowering with a new "old stock" Optimax and backed out since it did not have a warranty.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default Rubber hoses

I would not worry about the hoses for awhile. My old 2002 Opti 150 needed only a new primer bulb in the 10 years I owned it, and I ran it on 10% ethanol only- non ethanol being hard to find around here unless you want to pay a $1. per gallon extra. After 10 years all the hoses were still pliable. If this motor was stored without fuel, then I would expect the rubber to still be good. I would suggest you check all the clamps on the hoses for tightness, especially the ones connecting to the tank pick-up tube. If in doubt, just double clamp the connection using the plastic Evinrude/OMC/Bombardier clamps which do a great job of uniformly loading the hose.
Doug
Old 11-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Minnow

Its a great Engine. Run Quick Clean fuel treatment and DFI Oil, Change Plugs after break in or at least inspect and clean in chevron gas cleaner or something. Run the Engine Full Trim Down for the first 10 or so hours to get out of break in quicker and follow what ever the manual tell you to do about break in RPM. Also change out the fuel line grey stuff if it has red writing on it to newer Blue writing on it. May consider TDR Fiber Reed Valves after 200 hours if your a DYIer.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 sb View Post
Check with Mercury with the serial number. I don't think it will have a warranty even though it is a new motor. I think 7 years is the limit. I was looking at repowering with a new "old stock" Optimax and backed out since it did not have a warranty.

Might be surprised. I was looking at a new 4yo leftover when I bought my boat. Full factory warranty applied for both boat and Mercury Optimax. I think as long as the boat/motor is not titled, the original warranty would still apply