Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any woodworkers? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
This is the club I belong to, if the link works, look at some of the stuff these guys turn out, pretty impressive.

http://www.mnwwg.org/

Al
I now feel so inadequate.... Maybe another new fishing rod will bring my self esteem up.

Some people are so dog gone talented. Wow.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
I now feel so inadequate.... Maybe another new fishing rod will bring my self esteem up.

Some people are so dog gone talented. Wow.

Pooch
What was nice is these guys helped me find what I could do and how to do what I didn't think I could.

But still some of their stuff is just unbelievable.
So I backed off a bit and do stuff that I can have fun with, inlays are terribly time consuming for me, but sometimes they really put a smile on my face.

Don't do much woodworking during the winter though.

Al
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Sportfish,
If you do decide to make and sell items you want to shoot for a reasonable amount for your labor.

So, when doing a project - stay on a time clock so that you can record the amount of time you spend on an object.

Then, take the $$ spent for materials. Take the hours of labor and multiply it by a reasonable amount of $$ that your time is worth. On the downside - something like $20 per hour.

So, if you spend 20 hours on a job and $50 for materials, you should charge something like $450 for the item.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

My BIL used to do wood working as a sideline business. His parents did the same - so he learned the approach from his parents, and started doing the same from the time he was a teen.

He built craft type things, and sold them during the summer months at craft shows. His schedule was basically to build things into his inventory as fast as he could all winter long, and when the craft shows started he managed his inventory - what was selling well, what was running low on inventory, and target those items during summer time building.

He ended up being really efficient building a defined/limited number of products. In his professional life - he became an electrical engineer, so you can imaging his thought process. Darn engineers.

He built plate rails, cloak hangers, cutting boards, clocks of many different styles, mantels, bedrails, headboards, quilt hangers. Basically smaller stuff, that he produced in volume, and sold in volume. He liked building things on the lathe because when it came off the lathe it was generally all prepared for finish. He had a trough for applying finish, and purchased stain in 55 gallon drums.

He had air conditioning in his shop before he had air conditioning in his house.

He worked 10-12 art shows in a 3 state area. Had a 3/4 ton cargo van that pulled a 14' enclosed trailer. He was often packed high and tight when he went to the craft show, and came home very near sold out. Over the years, he got very good at knowing how much of what would sell at each venue.

He eventually started reducing the number of craft shows he would attend, and later on contracted with his sister to work the craft shows and he stayed home, and then eventually shut it down.

He consistently made 30K-40K as a sideline business. But let me tell you he spent a lot of time in his shop, and he was very efficient at building his products. He did this for more than a couple of decades.

He also owned an electrical engineering company with a couple of partners. When that business sold for 8 million, he backed off on woodworking.

It can be done.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Wallhanger

Good for him but when did he fish?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 AM
Wallhanger

Once again, thanks for the advice. I think I will keep it simple. I don't want the bottom of my boat to ever dry out in the summer!

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
My BIL used to do wood working as a sideline business. His parents did the same - so he learned the approach from his parents, and started doing the same from the time he was a teen.

He built craft type things, and sold them during the summer months at craft shows. His schedule was basically to build things into his inventory as fast as he could all winter long, and when the craft shows started he managed his inventory - what was selling well, what was running low on inventory, and target those items during summer time building.

He ended up being really efficient building a defined/limited number of products. In his professional life - he became an electrical engineer, so you can imaging his thought process. Darn engineers.

He built plate rails, cloak hangers, cutting boards, clocks of many different styles, mantels, bedrails, headboards, quilt hangers. Basically smaller stuff, that he produced in volume, and sold in volume. He liked building things on the lathe because when it came off the lathe it was generally all prepared for finish. He had a trough for applying finish, and purchased stain in 55 gallon drums.

He had air conditioning in his shop before he had air conditioning in his house.

He worked 10-12 art shows in a 3 state area. Had a 3/4 ton cargo van that pulled a 14' enclosed trailer. He was often packed high and tight when he went to the craft show, and came home very near sold out. Over the years, he got very good at knowing how much of what would sell at each venue.

He eventually started reducing the number of craft shows he would attend, and later on contracted with his sister to work the craft shows and he stayed home, and then eventually shut it down.

He consistently made 30K-40K as a sideline business. But let me tell you he spent a lot of time in his shop, and he was very efficient at building his products. He did this for more than a couple of decades.

He also owned an electrical engineering company with a couple of partners. When that business sold for 8 million, he backed off on woodworking.

It can be done.
I guess a sideline business can be whatever you call it, but, to me, your BIL had a manufacturing business. It was a lot more than some guy messing around in his shop and then selling off a few excess pieces he made pursuing his hobby. If the $30K to $40K was a net profit he was doing pretty good for himself for a sideline business.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:38 AM
Keeper

Default It has been good for us

I have done numerous custom kitchens, of high quality, and the extra income has been a great asset to our family over the years.

I took a few years off, with the birth of our third child. Now, I am resetting a bit, and trying to get into a niche market...shuffleboard

I think the specialty market might offer more to us...not many custom shuffleboard builders arround here...we'll see what happens.

A few pics attached of a play field I am working on, with all custom walnut inlays.

Take care and good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	237929   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	237937   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	237945  

...||| 2013 .1775. PRO-V SE ---
......\ ----115 MERC 4 STROKE -------
[|||] ------------------------------------- >>>
....../ ---.TERROVA WITH LINK -------
...||| 858c|858c DI|898c SI ---
Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Flight2205

That is really pretty.

Grew up playing shuffleboard at the local family tavern in a small rural town. Loved the game. Never see a shuffle board anymore. Probably got an "App" for kids now days..... pity.

Are you building everything yourself?

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
Just a quick question. I do a fair amount of woodworking. some furniture, shelving etc. My wife and sons along with their wives and some friends have told me I should start selling some items. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it more headache than value? If you have done successfully, what method of selling did you use? I'm going to retire in 4 1/2 years, and she already has me working again!
Thanks!

Depends on what you make. My step-dad has a shop in superior, wi. Has for 20 years now and does well. He started it as a hobby that morphed into what he has now. Building custom cabinets and furniture for homes. He also makes things on a CNC machine that he sells. Per hour of work he makes out way better on the CNC creations. I don't think it's a headache if you make quility items.