Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Strikemaster Chipper Auger - Single or Dual Blade? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Strikemaster Chipper Auger - Single or Dual Blade?

I'm going to order a replacement auger from Strikemaster and see they offer a single or dual blade. Does anyone have the dual blade set-up? Does it cut any better, faster, etc...? It's about $35 more than the single, which seems reasonable. I just don't want to buy one and have problems with it like the 9" 3-blade auger I'm replacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

My bro in law put on the new double blade drill on his older SM and holy cow did it make a difference. For $35 I would get upgrade. I have older SM and am considering getting a new drill for it this year, when D-Rock has them for I think $90. Worth it, especially if I need to get new/sharpened blade anyway.

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Dual blade for cutting new holes only fast. If you want to reopen holes in a fish house single chipper blade only does the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnutbob View Post
Dual blade for cutting new holes only fast. If you want to reopen holes in a fish house single chipper blade only does the job.
When you say dual blade, are you referring to chipper blades or the Lazer blades? I forgot to mention that the auger I have has the Lazer blades and I want to replace it with a chipper blade auger with single or dual blades.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
My bro in law put on the new double blade drill on his older SM and holy cow did it make a difference. For $35 I would get upgrade. I have older SM and am considering getting a new drill for it this year, when D-Rock has them for I think $90. Worth it, especially if I need to get new/sharpened blade anyway.
Where or what is D-Rock? That's a really good price for a replacement auger, much cheaper than buying direct from Strikemaster.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default D-rock

D-rock is a SM dealer in New Brighton, MN. They've been a warranty center for SM for as long as I can remember, and have some of the best prices around. Bought one of the 2-blade Laser bits years ago, still works great. Good luck.
http://drockicecenter.com/
Old 12-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishoil View Post
When you say dual blade, are you referring to chipper blades or the Lazer blades? I forgot to mention that the auger I have has the Lazer blades and I want to replace it with a chipper blade auger with single or dual blades.

No you cant change a lazer auger to a chipper. Buy new blades for your lazer. Or buy a new Auger from Strikemaster with a chipper bit. Look at their web site.

www.strikemaster.com for more help.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Still a shame that 3 blade 9 inch didn't work right. That was the best drill ever if it was all in perfect order. I got the chipper but just can't bring myself to ever toss that 9 incher out.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Fishoil,
If you look at the history of Strikemaster ice augers, you will find that they have gone through some different auger designs.
1. They had a single blade chipper. This is a straight blade, with rounded grooves in the front.
2. They had a double blade chipper. Again, the same as the first, except on two auger blades.

3. The lazier augers.
All of the lazier augers have a curved blade that is difficult to sharpen at home due to the complex shape of the blade. In general the lazier blades all cut better than the chipper style - except when both are slightly dull.
If slightly dull, the lazier tends to stop cutting at all, but the chippers continue to cut pretty well.

4. The lazier augers went through a series of successful and not so successful designs. They have had two and three blade designs of various auger sizes, coupled with different auger designs.
Some of these were failures, since either the blades did not cut well, or the auger was made in a way that did not hold the blade alignment over time.

But, the poor designs have all been weeded out, all of the design flaws have been fixed and when you get a lazier auger now, of any style, it works well.

But, due to the design of the cutter blades, the lazier will always have the issue of not cutting well if not sharp. So, really protect your blades, do not hit mud, dirty ice, or stumps, or the blades will quickly dull and will need to be replaced.

As is always the case with any ice auger you carry on the ice - always carry spare blades, and tools to change the blades. You can never tell if you might hit something in the ice to dull or damage a blade.

Good luck
REW