Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Underspin? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

The big advantage IMHO of the underspin over a standard push button spin cast reel is that you can get a lot of decent spinning rods for walleye and panfish whereas the baitcast rod there really isn't much of a choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

I would highly suggest just getting them started on regular spinning reels.

Girls are very coordinated and will pick it up quickly.

Getting them crappy equipment will just make them frustrated and they will lose interest in the sport.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 04-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
I would highly suggest just getting them started on regular spinning reels.

Girls are very coordinated and will pick it up quickly.

Getting them crappy equipment will just make them frustrated and they will lose interest in the sport.
+1
My granddaughters have much better fine motor skills at a younger age than my sons or grandsons did.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Keeper

I believe that a lot of people dislike the spin cast & underspin reels because they have a lot of cheap junk on the market to target kids & picnic fisherman.

In my own experience, I found some of the spin cast and under spin reels to be really good. For example, you can go in and get a zebco rod and reel from Walmart for $20. Thing is absolute crap. The drag sucks & lots of problems with the reel. Now go into a sporting goods store and you can buy a very good quality zebco reel built of aluminum, & like 8 ball bearings. Now you have a different story.

I bought a high end zebco spin cast reel for my three boys to use. I decided that I was going to test how it worked. So I used it to cast twister tails on the river, even tried trolling with it on my boat. I can say I was honestly impressed with it. The drag worked well, and the unit was smooth. Caught a couple walleye when trolling with it, and the drag worked fine. I actually use the reel quite a bit myself now for constant casting operations. The one bad part about all spin cast is the short amount of line they hold, & if you don't have a pretty full spool your casting distance falls off.

So my advice is look at the quality of the reel, and if it is built well you'll probably be good with the reel.

Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 04-28-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Walker View Post
I remember them as a kid,a closed face spinning reel that hung under the rod, they were quite good, maybe pflueger made them? but I think it was Johnson
Me too...yep... Johnson sounds right. I wore that sucker out
Old 04-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks all, I'll pass your thoughts along to him. I started my kids with open face and fly fishing when they were quite young, amazing what they can do when they don't have any bad habits formed yet.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

I used Johnson SABRA's for years, and still have a bunch of them.
This is a bigger spincast than most, but I will swear by them and wouldn't be afraid to use them for almost any type of fishing that I do.
One thing strange about them though, you can not have any pressure on the handle in order for the drag to work.