Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help! Oil alarm - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Minnow

Default Help! Oil alarm

My evinrude Intruder 175's oil alrm goes off when I go over 4500 rpms. It is a 97. I had the pump switched about 6 years ago. Could it be anything else? Are there any ways I can check to see if that is the problem before taking it in? I have a bad feeling this could be expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Wallhanger

1997--is this a VRO engine? First, I'd check the oil reservoir tank for sludge buildup. But if it's a VRO, those pumps weren't widely known for reliability.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Minnow

I believe so. How does one check for oilsludge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Perchy,
Remove the oil tank from its spot in the boat. You can leave the oil line connected to the motor.

Put the oil tank in a rubber maid container or similar to insure that no oil gets out on the carpet or floor of the boat.

Remove the fasteners that hold the hose/filter assembly to the top of the oil tank.

Remove the filter assembly and have a bucket ready for the assembly. Leave the hose hanging from the assembly. If you don't have one - purchase a new filter assembly for the bottom of the pick up assembly.

Then, use gasoline or equivalent to completely clean up the oil pick up assembly. When you reassemble the assembly, install a new filter and insure that it is positioned correctly.

Now, take a clean bucket and put a cheese cloth filter over the top of the bucket. Dump the contents of the oil tank into the filter and into the bucket.

Now, check the inside of the oil tank assembly and use gasoline or equivalent to completely clean up the tank.

Note: When you removed the oil pickup assembly, there is a gasket on the underside of the pickup assembly. When you remove the assembly, be sure not to damage the gasket. If you do damage the gasket, purchase a new gasket at the same time you purchase the filter.

Go ahead and reassemble the oil pickup assembly.

Now, double check the contents of the clean bucket to insure that the oil that is in the bucket looks like brand new oil and has no discoloration or any thing else in its appearance that would indicate that there is something wrong with the oil. If the oil appears in good shape, go ahead and put it back in the oil tank. If there is any sign at all that there is something wrong with the oil, dispose of the oil where you would dispose of any drain oil. Then, top off the oil tank, after you have put the oil tank back into the correct location of the tank.

Now, go ahead and remove the oil line from your motor. Then, with the oil container full, go ahead and pump your oil bulb 100 times to be sure that all of the air has been removed from the system. Just put the end of the oil line back into the oil tank so that you don't waste or lose any of your new oil. When you are sure that all air has been removed from the oil lines, go ahead and put the hose back on the motor and be sure that the clamp is replaced and that the clamp is in good shape and tight on the hose. Do a final squeeze of the oil bulb to be sure that the motor is fully primed with fresh oil.

Good luck
REW
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Minnow

Default Thanks

I had a buddy who knows motors and he said he thinks its a gasket. We ran the boat and he pulled a fuse out that apparently sounds the alarm. He said my carbs are not filling up enough? He pumped the ball while I drove wide open. I hope he is right. He also said he had a few other checkpoints for gas line blockage to go through. I appreciate all the help, and R.E.W. I hope you don't mind that I copied and pasted your explanation. I appreciate all the help. I will give another follow up when I know more.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Wallhanger

Are you getting a steady horn sound at high speed or is it a pulsing on and off tone about a second apart?

A solid horn sound that goes away when you throttle back is a fuel restriction alarm, not an oil pump problem. Read the owers manual or the sticker that should be on your dashboard explaining the different alarm sequences.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar problem and it was the sensor that sets off the alarm

I tried pulling the vacuum line going to it and it just fell apart in my hands, the plastic port on the sensor disintegrated.

I would check that

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.