Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft Rod Storage Problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Minnow

Default Alumacraft Rod Storage Problem

I have a 2007 Classic Camp 165, powered by an F50. Like the rig, but am frustrated with no good solution to date for rod storage. Alumacraft side compartment used in 165 classic must be factory fastened (called). I have to believe some of you resourceful and creative members have the answer! Any suggestions on what could be added or fabricated would be appreciated. BTW, rods do not have to be "enclosed" but rack of some sort would be great. I envision horizontal rod butt rack on rear deck(port side), with vertical mid-rod rack along inside, 3 or 4 spin or casting rigs. Practical applications eludes me with long, empty span between rear compartments and forward casting/ storage deck.
Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Slam,
With a smaller boat like yours, the obvious solution is to go vertical with rod storage.

Figure a way to make vertical storage for your rods.

There are lots of vertical rod holders that mount to sides of boats.
Also, you can go to Cabalas and get one of the 8 rod holder that holds 8 rods and mounts into an empty seat socket.

It may be to your advantage, to get one of the 8 rod vertical holder, and then add an additional seat base in a good location to store just your rods.

If you have a side or console boat, you can mount rods on the sides or front of the console/s.

Lots of folks will take and mount a vertical rod holder/s on the front side of the drop down area on the front of the splash pan area, if your boat permits a mount in that location.

I agree, in box side storage is a bad idea. This is an excellent recipe for broken rods.

The other thing to consider it to only have the rods in the boat that you and your partners are going to use on a given outing. Don't try to take 20 rods out with you. 1-6 rods is normally plenty of rods for a 1/2 day of fishing. When you come in for lunch - if you do, you can always exchange rods, if you have the need.

Good luck
REW
Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Slam,
When I Look at the boats picture:

http://www.alumacraft.com/2011-models/classic/165-cs/

If this picture is somewhat close to yours, I think that the very best spot for rod storage is in the top of the bench behind the driver on the starboard side. I assume that with the tiller set up the way that it is, I would think that the driver always fishes over the port side. If so, then the use of the rear starboard side for storage makes sense.

Depending on clearance, mount a pedestal seat base in the bench lid behind the driver, and insert an 8 rod vertical rod holder.

Good luck
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the suggestion, Roger. I will check when at Cabelas nxt week. The vertical option sounds great.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Minnow

I have two berkley rod tubes installed on the back of my flip up seat for my lund. I made sure that I installed them in the middle so that I can use them either with the bench fold down or up. Works really well!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	9773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650a.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	9774  

Last edited by devy; 05-19-2011 at 08:29 AM.