Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I found my fuel line problem, check this out! - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Hard to tell from just a picture, but the fuel line doesn't seem to be compromised in my opinion. I think I'd be looking toward the fuel tank. Not sure how hard it would be to get to the fuel sending unit, but I think I'd pull it and try and do a visual inspection and get some samples of fuel from the tank. You didn't mention the model or age of the boat, or what the fuel tank is made of. Ethanol has some bad effect on older fuel tanks also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

JohnG

What kind of boat are we talking about and and have you checked the filter on the motor?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Default No Ethanol

Nothing good happens when you pump ethanol blended fuel into your boat tank. Try and avoid it if you possibly can. Add a stabil type additive to the fuel immediately if you can't. Don't think about it, just do it...

It doesn't matter if it is the tank, fuel lines, gaskets, floats, etc., the real problem is ethanol in the gas, and using it in a marine environment.

http://blogs.basspro.com/blog/bass-p...-engine-issues

http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/...-Fishing-Boats

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Last edited by Jim Carroll; 03-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Slot Fish

I'm with Troy and REW on this one. Looks just like the garbage that deposited throughout the system on my generator after leaving untreated fuel in it for a while. The fuel doen't have to evaporate. Mine did it with the lines and carb fully loaded with gas. Was real fun digging that out of all of the passages in the carb. Some was hard as rock and adhered to the metal and had to be scraped off.

You'll find out if it was the hoses or not. If it was phase separation, it probably did that throughout your whole fuel system, even in the engine, and you'll still have the WOT issue. I use marine stabil 365 days a year now after that!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerjim View Post
If it was the fuel line or bulb degrading, wouldn't the crud be the color of the line or bulb ?
Guys,
These fuel lines have a liner in them. Take one apart and you will see it. The liner has broken down from the ethanol and this is the result. The problem isnt only the 10% ethanol that these fuels have its that some fuels have more than 10% and you dont know it. Just change your fuel lines.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Minnow

For everyone asking, this is a 2004 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1850. The tank was bone dry when I bought the boat, I filled the tank and added the appropriate amount of quickleen. I wouldn't run my motor without quickleen. There were some small particles of this stuff in my fuel filter, which I changed at the same time as the lines. I will be on the water tomorrow for a test run, so we'll soon find out if it was the lines.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Slot Fish

Quickleen doesn't stabilize the fuel though. With ethanol gas, you need the green marine grade stabil.

Was that gunk hard or jelly like?

Last edited by B.Chunks; 03-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Chunks View Post
Quickleen doesn't stabilize the fuel though. With ethanol gas, you need the green marine grade stabil.

Was that gunk hard or jelly like?
It was like a brittle plastic. It is clearly the lining from the fuel lines, it is most definately not some sort of residue from the fuel.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

Default It is most certainly dried fuel

Is it black motor you leave out in sun. Most amazing pictures thanks!

Last edited by beeman; 03-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

doesn't matter what that crap is. Bottom line ethanol caused this issue. It sucks. Luckily I have found 91 ethanol free in my area for 10 cents more than crap gas. I have had issues using stabil as well and seafoam in my small engines while storing.