Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help for a beginner - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Minnow

Default Help for a beginner

I am new to walleye fishing. I have gone out probably 15-20 times and have caught no walleyes. I've tried everything I can think of. My biggest problem is I cannot find where they are. I was wondering does anyone have any good books, videos articles or anything else that could hopefully help out a new walleye fisherman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Wallhanger

Location, like where you live and where you fish at. Somebody familiar with the area will probably chime in.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Minnow

I am from central minnesota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN320 View Post
I am from central minnesota.

Find a pack of walleye boats and zip right in there and catch some fish!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

BN320

Go out with a good fisherman or guide in his boat and keep your eyes, ears, and mind open to see what is going on during your day of fishing.

Or call someone who can take you fishing in your own boat and have them teach you using your own boat.

Remember, the old adage -that is rather true:

90% of the fish are caught by 5% of the fisherman in 1 % of the water.

Good luck
Old 06-04-2017, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

Walleye Wisdom is a good book that covers types of water, seasons and presentations. YouTube videos from Lindy's, Angling Edge, In-Fisherman, In-Depth Outdoors will put visuals on the concepts in the book.

Also study maps and learn about the structure and cover in your lake. Youtube sonar and learn to interpret what you are seeing on your electronics. Smaller lakes are easier to pick apart than big ones, I hope you are keeping it to under 3000 acres.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Slot Fish

I read once that the average catch rate for walleye in MN is 1 per 10 hours. So you are not alone in having trouble finding them.

My suggestion is that you only fish one smaller lake (like kzoofisher suggested) with a good walleye population for about five trips.

On each of those trips only try a couple of techniques and change locations/depths every fifteen minutes or so.

Start out in 8 feet of water fishing a slip bobber and live bait over submerged weeds. If nothing move to the deepest edge of the submerged weeds. If nothing switch to a floating jig head and move to the harder bottom just outside the weeds.

If nothing, move to a point or sand/rocky shore with the wind blowing into it. Start at 5 feet with your slip bobber and keep moving deeper. Once you get out to 15 feet or so switch to the floating jig or lindy rig and drift. If it is not early morning or evening move out to 25 feet and drift in.

If still nothing crack open a beer and troll a #5 flicker shad or #7 shad rap at about 1.4 mph, 70 feet back (10 big sweeps of you rod with your bail open.) If nothing go faster, slower, or use more or less line out.

Next time out do the same thing on different spots.

Last edited by Grumps; 06-04-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I think that my first suggestion is to use your electronics to fish.

Yes, there will be fish where you will not be able to see them with the electronics.
But, if you do see fish on your electronics, you can target them.

I almost never start fishing unless I am seeing bait and predator fish on my electronics.

Too much water otherwise.

Be safe
Old 06-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN320 View Post
I am new to walleye fishing. I have gone out probably 15-20 times and have caught no walleyes. I've tried everything I can think of. My biggest problem is I cannot find where they are. I was wondering does anyone have any good books, videos articles or anything else that could hopefully help out a new walleye fisherman.
LOL, welcome to the world of walleye fishing!
Watch walleye specific shows and DVD instruction videos along with reading material, stay on this site and ask single target question on different techniques you don't understand. There are some very knowledgeable walleye savvy individuals on here that are always willing to share that knowledge. Don't try to absorb to much in a short period of time, this is a sport that requires patience and experience, but if you put in the water time you will begin to get the hang of it.
Good Luck
Old 06-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
BN320

Go out with a good fisherman or guide in his boat and keep your eyes, ears, and mind open to see what is going on during your day of fishing.

Or call someone who can take you fishing in your own boat and have them teach you using your own boat.

Remember, the old adage -that is rather true:

90% of the fish are caught by 5% of the fisherman in 1 % of the water.

Good luck
That's some good info right there