Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lest we forget. (political-zap it if you must) - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 08-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Lest we forget. (political-zap it if you must)

There is a difference between countries that sponsor terrorism and a religious gathering of Muslims from every corner of the world.

Just because a person is Muslim doesn't mean they are or support terrorists.

If that were the case, all Christians would be implicated with groups like the Ku Klux Klan who say they are good Christians doing gods work.

Kraig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

We are losing our WWI veterans at a rapid daily pace. Just went with my FIL to visit the neurologist yesterday afternoon. At 83, he is a WWII and Pearl Harbor Survivor, Navy Submariner (USS), now faced with Alzheimers. Dr said it is time to keep him in familiar surroundings.

I've noticed he seems to do better some days as compared to others - he has always seemed to do well when we are in the boat. Even on tough fishing days he'll come up with something like "I wonder what the poor people are doing today?"

Take a kid fishing - even old kids.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
sjunlogged

Hey Dave, no self hater here, nor do I question the action we took. However I do think it is important to understand what all took place, you seem to be pretty ignorant and uneducated by your response...so I will keep this short so you are able to understand it.....sj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Keeper

SJ - maybe you can explain (in simple terms of course) how your assertion that FDR was a racist and antisemit has anything to do with the original intent of this thread? Are you trying to imply that he only dropped the bomb because he was a racist?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
sjunlogged

Not at all, as he was dead when the bomb was dropped, that is my point. You discuss this idea and you don't even know who was president when it ocurred....that is my point....
Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

This is an interesting discussion. Some have already hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned: It is difficult to understand the past if you only use today's values and culture as a base to compare.

I am continually amazed at how history has "changed" in regard to discussing the justification of dropping the bombs. Two things in particular:

There is much discussion and horror over the results of the A-bombs, yet, conventional firebombings that preceded the A-bombs destroyed as much or more property and lives. Nobody seems to mark the anniversaries of the firebombings. There is no 'outrage' over that. If you kill 100,000 people with a 100,000 hammers, 1000 incendiary bombs, or 1 atomic bomb... the result is the same. People are dead and property is destroyed. The massive low altitude firebombing of Tokyo can easily be argued to be more deadly than either a-bomb.

Also, using today's perspective the a-bombs can seem pretty heartless but time has healed the wounds of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The Japanese were pretty much just as 'done' prior to Okinawa as they would have been prior to an invasion of the main islands. In Japan, there was division between hard liners who were convinced the Americans could be defeated once they arrived on the home islands, and the moderates, who understood the war was over and the killing should end. Revisionist historians pull together quotes from the moderates and display it as evidence the a-bombs were overkill. In fact there was still a lot of debate in Japan over what to do, even after the first atomic bomb. There were issues of national pride, religion, bushido codes, and fanatisism that made Japan a unique foe in a war of that scale.

Amazingly, after it has all been said and done the Japanese have purged their school textbooks of their own horrors during the war, and now annually mark the anniversaries of the a-bombs. I have seen a lot of people in this country take note, forget history, and start to become embarrassed by the decision to drop the bombs. It has been a while that there has been such a large scale war, complete with strategic targets including population centers. It is chilling, but it was a different world then.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Keeper

SJ - I guess since you were "smart" enough to "know" FDR was not president at the time of the bombing - my question still stands " what does your assertion that FDR was a racist and antisemit have to do with the original intent of this thread?"

To quote someone recently "You discuss this idea and you don't even know who was president when it ocurred....that is my point...."

This is my last post on this topic. I do not want to contribute further to it getting nuked.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Jack, I enjoy a lot of your comments here on WC and respect you a lot. That being said, I am sad to see your comments here. As a person with a Mulsim relative, I can't help but feel a little offended. I think it is more than small-minded to suggest dropping atomic bombs on innocent people to "send a message" to terrorists.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

Lets try to keep it civil.

A little heated debate and controversy are good.

I miss threads like this one here on walleye central. It makes it a little more interesting.

Kraig
Old 08-05-2005, 12:24 PM
sjunlogged

My whole point is the intitial post and replies are based on emotion and bias without taking time to research what took place. FDR is great example...people love the man even african americans and jews who he did little for and even set civil rights back 30 years. I think it is best to learn what transpired in the past before we applaud or condem it...sj