Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wheel house Heater - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 10-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Keeper

Default Wheel house Heater

I'm in the process of finishing up a wheel house project and am down to installing a heater. I'm thinking of a 20K BTU ventless "blue-flame" heater. The problem I am having is finding a heater that doesn't require a minimum tank size of 100 Lbs.

Those of you that have made your own wheel house, what did you use, or is not using a 100 Lb. tank not an issue?

P.S. The wheel house is 6.5' X 12' with a 3' "V".
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Keeper

Default ventless heater

It will work, used one in mine for 6 years. Switched over to VENTED heater. Too much moisture in the air from a ventless heater, everthing got frosted over, and I left mine on 24/7. In my world vented is the way to go. Might cost more but worth the money IMHO.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Wallhanger

If you don't mind the smell, the fumes, the low oxygen, the water dripping from the windows and roof, and a good chance of dying then get the non vented heater. Be safe, get a vented heater. I have a 20,000 BTU in a 16+V house that does fine but I'm foamed everywhere. A vented heater is usually only about 70% ( I think) efficient so bigger is better sometimes. I've had 18,000's in 12 footers before but it was close to not enough when the old cheap white bead board was what everybody used.

Last edited by hawg; 10-05-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Minnow

I built an 8'x16'+4'v last year and used a 30k btu suburban furnace. This is the same one that the big ice castles use and I don't regret it one bit! The only down side is that you need to power the fan for it but I always have at least two 27 series and a generator with me.

My buddy had a ventless in his 16' shack and we would have to leave the windows cracked over night to make sure we would be able to wake up. Not to mention the feeling of smoking a pack of marb reds when you do get up from the fumes or lack of O2.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

To the OP:
With all the several heaters I've had (ventless and vented) I've never had any problems running a 20lb tank with any of the heaters.

I would agree with everyone though...vented is 100% better and the way to go. No added moisture to the air, dry heat and it won't deplete oxygen. If your shack is fairly air tight you are going to be severely disappointed.

I bought my last (and current) vented heater at Menards for a decent price.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

15,000 BTU vented heater here in a 6 1/2'x12' wheelhouse and I can fish in a Tshirt. I have 2 80mm computer fans mounted near the ceiling for circulation.