Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
.308W vs 7.62NATO - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Nice, I'm a big fan of the ar10. Makes my 15's feel like a squirt gun though. Can't wait to use it in deer season this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Nice, I'm a big fan of the ar10. Makes my 15's feel like a squirt gun though. Can't wait to use it in deer season this year.
Yep, this will be headed out for deer season also. Put an 18X scope on it. I love AR-platform guns. Multi-purpose, compact, and easy to accessorize. I put over 100 rounds through the AR-10 a while ago and my shoulder looked and felt like battered raw meat for 2 weeks. lol
Old 09-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm with you on the ar platform, just love them. I had a big shoot em up party at my place over Labor day and one guy wasn't too happy with his shoulder after shooting the ar10. I got a good laugh out of it. He had the raw meat look going too. I did add a recoil pad to the stock for the next time. I put a Trijicon reflex on the rifle for deer season. I'll see how it works out. I'm guessing it will end up on another ar15 and I'll scope the ar10 down the road. Shots in West Virginia are fairly close so I went with the trijicon for now. Really nice sight.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:44 AM
RAMFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
DPMS .308/7.62

Only shot .308 out of it so far
Which one and which barrel length? I have a stripped lower that I need to build some day.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFan View Post
Which one and which barrel length? I have a stripped lower that I need to build some day.
Sportical with the 16" barrel. Wishing now I went with a longer barrel, but this will work for hitting deer at 200-300 yards. Might upgrade the barrel in the future. It's only a scoped deer and target rifle, so I went cheaper model without the little bells and whistles like forward assist, chamber cover, and railed hand guard. I liked the tight construction on the DPMS compared to the others I checked out. Allot of the other models were pretty sloppy, especially the Bushmaster I looked at for a couple hundred $ more.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:06 PM
RAMFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Sportical with the 16" barrel. Wishing now I went with a longer barrel, but this will work for hitting deer at 200-300 yards. Might upgrade the barrel in the future. It's only a scoped deer and target rifle, so I went cheaper model without the little bells and whistles like forward assist, chamber cover, and railed hand guard. I liked the tight construction on the DPMS compared to the others I checked out. Allot of the other models were pretty sloppy, especially the Bushmaster I looked at for a couple hundred $ more.
Thanks. I will give DPMS a look when I am ready to build, probably when I have some free time around Christmas.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

imo DPMS makes a great value firearm.
Mines setup for both hunting & personal protection, three types of optics and a few other nice additions.
Have fun with that build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPMS.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	176794  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM
RamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
imo DPMS makes a great value firearm.
Mines setup for both hunting & personal protection, three types of optics and a few other nice additions.
Have fun with that build.
Now that is a nice rifle. Can you explain the optics set up? I am used to either a scope or an Eotech. It looks lie you may have both red dot and scope?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Ram,
There is nothing too crazy expensive there, I don't see myself going to war anytime soon or in any type of competition. Lets just say the optics are adequate.
The scope is a NcStar 3x9x40 tactical with blue & green illuminated reticle.
On top of that is a clone eotech holographic red dot again a NcStar.
And the third, yet not really optics per se is a Barska 5watt multi step/level green laser and across from that is a Barska tactical multi function torch.

Being many states don't permit lasers for taking game, a little machining was done to the mount & laser tube to allow easy removal yet precise placement when reinstalled with the aid of a set-screw. No worries of lost sighting.

All in all its a very functional weapon
Old 10-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Keeper

This is a good thread, im leaning toward the dpms lr308 socom sniper ar10, but cant buy until i return from overseas. Im looking for a good tactical style hunting rifle and leaning towards that. Only hesitation i have is i would really like a bolt action which may go with a sig sauer ssg 3000 or tikka t3 and put th bipod and other goodies on that. I guess i still have 6 months to decide.