Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Litter !!!! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 AM
Wallhanger

About learning from parents. The gym I go to almost daily is a very large facility that frequently holds large regional events for youth programs. When the parking lot clears that's when you will see the trash left behind. It's disgusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishs View Post
About learning from parents. The gym I go to almost daily is a very large facility that frequently holds large regional events for youth programs. When the parking lot clears that's when you will see the trash left behind. It's disgusting.
And they demand free education too..............LOL
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Lets all do our part.

Often, when getting out of my car in a parking lot on the way into a shopping center or store- I will run across litter.

Most stores or shopping centers have garbage cans beside their entrance doors. I just make a point to stoop over and pick up the litter that I see on the way to the store and drop it in the garbage.

The bending is good exercise, and I always have a tiny inward smile that this path is a bit cleaner than it was before.

I do get quite upset when I see folks pitch a cup, a bag, or a cigarette onto the ground and let it lay. There are trash containers everywhere and can be used.

In your car, keep a trash bag and dump stuff in the trash bag. When you get to a convenience store, shopping center, your own garage - dump the stuff from your trash bag into the garbage bag. No need to haul trash around in your car either.

I just don't get why some folks take an empty drink container or lunch left over onto the floor of the car and just let it sit and rot on the floor. 0 effort to dump into a trash container in the car, and then empty the trash container at your first stop.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Rew, that's what I have resorted to. Maybe one of the violators will see me and think twice the next time they throw the Burger King bag out the window.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is it seems the poorer the neighborhood the worse it looks. Trash everywhere in addition to vehicles and furniture. Granted many people don't have a lot of control where they live, they can easily control the amount of mess around. Lack of pride, lack of effort, lack of everything it seems.

Then again you have the ice fisherman slobs.
I use a boat landing close to my house on a large west metro area lake. The house next to the landing is worth probably north of 2 million, as are many of the homes on the lake. Everynow and then I'll see some beverage containers, bait containers, a broken fishing rod or some other trash laying around at the landing. So with that in mind, I think that slobs are slobs no matter where the neighborhood is or how poor or rich it is. The broken fishing rod and other fishing type trash also tells me that there are a few slobs in our fishing community too. I pick up the trash and put in the trash can when I get home. Every March we also seem to have a lot of ice fishing debris on the ice from a few fisherman, although most are very respectful of the environment.

andersaki
Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

One of my biggest gripes is fishing line left on the bank.This signifies a complete disregard for others, as well as for wildlife which can get entangled in it. This always goes into my pocket, for proper disposal.

More than once, I have come upon such a mess in a few favorite popular fishing spots in my local area. Sometimes a pile of beer cans are left. I have gotten to examining the spot carefully. some leftovers seem to be the result of an evening/night time affair, and more than once, I have found remnants of spilled tackle boxes, or dropped tackle which never got found in the dark. Almost feel like a detective, trying to determine how the crime was committed!

Bill
Old 12-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is it seems the poorer the neighborhood the worse it looks. Trash everywhere in addition to vehicles and furniture. Granted many people don't have a lot of control where they live, they can easily control the amount of mess around. Lack of pride, lack of effort, lack of everything it seems.

Then again you have the ice fisherman slobs.
I'm embarrassed to admit to being an ice fisherman when I see the amount of garbage left on the lakes by so called "outdoorsmen". I've run out of room in my sled picking up other peoples trash when leaving lakes.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Every year I participate in the 'Clean the Shores" project. Several hundred adults of all ages and lots of children take a morning and walk the shores of Lake Superior near Duluth, MN picking up hundreds of pounds of trash, fishing line, and other debris that is either left on the shore or washes up. The trash is mostly aluminum cans and plastic bottles. There are also many volunteers who walk the shore of the Kenia River in Alaska digging out fishing line and lost tackle. As the volunteers walk by they show you their bag of garbage and ask you to do your part keep the shoreline clean and pick up what you find on the walk out.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Wallhanger

man in western ND since this oil boom it has gotten ridiculous. Twice a year they have to have hundreds of people get together and pick up ditches. It's disgusting
Old 12-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I think that the cameras that monitor red light intersections should be moved to areas of high litter like highway on ramps, stretches of road shielded from view by timber and curves as well as select corners.

Litter bugs caught on camera would probably yield more fines in numbers and revenue than those camera yield at intersections.

Jack