Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Plastics for Slow Death - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Keeper

Default Plastics for Slow Death

So, I have found the slow death presentation to be very effective. Not a whole lot of fun to fish. I prefer jigging to trolling. I like feeling the bite, timing the hook set, feeling the fish on. I would rather jig. Period.

But, there are times when you have to find fish. So, you troll. I don't mind Lindy rigging because there is a little more "touch" involved, but in certain situations that slow death is a killer...:-) pun intended!

One of the things I don't like is trying to thread that crawler on the hook. It is a laborious process, and it is generally one and done....catch a fish, re-worm the hook.

So, I decided to play around with plastics this coming year. I ordered a package of each of the following to see if plastics would work as well as the real deal.

Berkley Gulp Killer Crawler in Breen Orange and Night Crawler colors.

Z-Man Finesse Worms in Pumpkin

Cabela's Go To Finesse Worms in PB & J.

Has anyone tried plastics on the slow death rig, and what was your experience?

I have to say, I have used Berkley Gulp Alive leeches with great success when leeches are the ticket. And I have noticed no difference in catch percentages using Gulp - vs - live leeches. And the artificial lasts 4-5-6 fish, sometimes more.

Anyway, boring day, just thought I would start a discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Keeper

I have used the Berkley Gulp Killer Crawler (in orange) with good success. They are quite soft though and can get chewed up pretty easy. I still prefer them to real crawlers since they are already the right length.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Keeper

mh454, thanks for the info. Good to hear. Man, I miss being on the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Keeper

I caught my second biggest walleye (30",12lb) using the slow death with a 5" white Big n Fish grub with a mack blade in front.

I found when the walleyes are feeding heavily-I will use the plastics. I still use Nightcrawlers 80% of time because I am confident in them. I am going to try more plastics this year.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Slot Fish

The Gulp pinched crawlers are good too.

2012 Lund 1675 Impact Sport
Merc 60 FS, Merc 8 FS
Powerdrive V2 with I-Pilot
Hummibird 788ci and 596ci HD DI
Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Keeper

berkley gulp killer crawler - these plastic worms are meant to go with slow death.... i find if you bend the slow death hook slightly in the middle you can get better action

Last edited by bowhunter99; 02-01-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

In this same vein, what about tipping a jig with just a bit of plastic crawler when vertical jigging? I've always used naturals but this would save real crawlers for harnesses when I'm at an outpost and bait is harder to come by.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Wallhanger

I used the killer krawler a a lot last year in the pumpkin seed color. Also used the regular crawlers in neon and trimmed them shorter.mwe even tried gulp shiner minnows and caught some eyes with them on the slow death hook. I used the fake bait when the sunfish and bass would just rip my live bait off as soon as I dropped it down. Seems like the plastics you can pull it away from them and less of a chance of getting it stolen from ya!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Keeper

could someone explain or better yet a picture of a Lindy rig, Slow death, etc. Looking for new ways to fish. All we do is troll rapalas.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpusher View Post
could someone explain or better yet a picture of a Lindy rig, Slow death, etc. Looking for new ways to fish. All we do is troll rapalas.
You can go to youtube and type in each method and there are great instructional videos by seasoned guides. I don't remember who, but really well done. I love those guides that aren't afraid to show things like that. If I was ever on a lake they worked I would gladly hire them. Very generous with info.