Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Battery help - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-29-2017, 11:30 PM
Wallhanger

WOW!
Why does it have to be so technical? Is this what it takes to keep your mind busy.
Relax, go fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Mikey 8.
Remove your current group 24 starting battery.

Install a group 31 deep cycle battery to replace the group 24 starting battery. This will greatly increase the discharge ability of the starting battery.

Then, have permanently installed jumper wires between your new group 31 starting battery and the first group 31 trolling motor battery that you have in your boat.

Install a battery switch in the + lead of your jumper wire between the two batteries.

Leave the battery switch in the open position, unless you need to jump your starting battery.

If you need to jump your starting battery, close the battery switch and leave it closed until you get back to a charging station for your boat.

Before charging the batteries with your on board charger - open the battery switch and you will be good to go.

-----------------------
This solution will solve about 90% of your battery problems. The only time that you would run into issues is that if you ended up with a dead starting battery and you had already run your trolling motor batteries down below their ability to help start the boat.

====================
This is the system that I have installed in my boat and have never had to use power from somewhere else to get the boat started.

Good luck
I like this idea and might incorporate it into my boat. I have a new boat that came with a group 24 for the starting battery. I have 3 helix 9's and have real concerns about battery drain. I'll be taking the boat out this weekend for it's maiden voyage.

My 36V TM uses group 29 batteries. If I replace my staring battery with a group 31 will there be any issues with wiring the jumper as you describe to a group 29? Do they need to be the same capacity? Thx
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky1008 View Post
I like this idea and might incorporate it into my boat. I have a new boat that came with a group 24 for the starting battery. I have 3 helix 9's and have real concerns about battery drain. I'll be taking the boat out this weekend for it's maiden voyage.

My 36V TM uses group 29 batteries. If I replace my staring battery with a group 31 will there be any issues with wiring the jumper as you describe to a group 29? Do they need to be the same capacity? Thx

No. It's the same as jump starting one vehicle from another. Battery size doesn't matter. It just needs 12v.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDOC View Post
No. It's the same as jump starting one vehicle from another. Battery size doesn't matter. It just needs 12v.
Makes sense, thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDOC View Post
Would the jumper wires running from the engine/acc. battery to the TM battery need to be heavy gauge, say #2 or could I get by with thinner gauge wires? The run would be about 15'.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Minnow

Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery (Group Size 31).

This is one of the batteries Jason Halfen recommends for electronics, I picked one up in March at Sam's Club for $195.00.
Helix 9 SI in dash
898 SI at bow
Bravo 1 XS
I Pilot Link

Last edited by EZAir1; 05-04-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: update