Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oahe - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPERZ View Post
I have some buddys that been hitting bitter and waubay last couple yrs and they limit very easily....said they'd rather hit eastern lakes than Missouri anymore...idk

Same here, but personally I have been doing very well in the Pierre area. Not always oahe, but always based out of Pierre 3-4 times per year and usually once out of chamberlain. I like the scenery better over there than the eastern side of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 AM
Minnow

My friend who has fished OAHE for over 50 years (before it was dammed)
said the walleye are feeding on herring which are very deep.This keeps them full and out of our usual fishing depths.The past couple of years, we have marked tons of fish at about 90 feet depth.
Divers around the 212 bridge noted a lot of nice fish deeper as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyedocs View Post
My friend who has fished OAHE for over 50 years (before it was dammed)
said the walleye are feeding on herring which are very deep.This keeps them full and out of our usual fishing depths.The past couple of years, we have marked tons of fish at about 90 feet depth.
Divers around the 212 bridge noted a lot of nice fish deeper as well.
We'll, if that is going to be the new normal that would about shut down walleye fishing. I don't know how you would even fish that deep. And anything you brought up from that depth would die.

Well, I'm still planning multiple days up there in April, May and June. I will try to remember to post results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight-lines View Post
I think the flood changed system. Forced them deep for food and also lower numbers. I am with goosechaser on the slot limits but would shut down the 20-28 and have 1 over 28. The walleye turned one for about 2 weeks and then disappeared last summer
I wouldn't mind seeing a slot limit of 15-19 inches and everything else goes back. There just don't seem to be that many big brood females in the system anymore, and those that are caught should be returned to the water immediately. Get the length and have a replica made no need to kill those big females at all anymore.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Default Stocking

http://www.capjournal.com/news/gfp-t...1a5e95f8f.html
Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboom View Post

Very interesting stuff in that article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher-man View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a slot limit of 15-19 inches and everything else goes back. There just don't seem to be that many big brood females in the system anymore, and those that are caught should be returned to the water immediately. Get the length and have a replica made no need to kill those big females at all anymore.

Echos my thoughts exactly. I'd even be ok with allowing 1 over 28"
Old 02-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Minnow

Default oahe a mystery

after several yrs of not getting above the dam, I tried for three days in late Sept, from Peoria Flats up to Sully and all shoreline in between. caught -0- walleye. couldn't help but notice we were the only ones in the cabins at spring creek. the manager says he has talked to the state GFP and guides, and they are guessing its the herring which replaced the shad after the flooding.......the walleyes are following the food down deep 60-80ft...we went down to 45 ft.....but its not practical....first of all, the fish probably aren't hungry, and then hauling them up out of those depths, most of them would die. some think when the water temps cool off, the walleyes will come up.....did anyone try it later in the fall?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:31 PM
rangerjackplate

Default no eyes all bass

the reason no eyes left all the bass have eaten the shallow water food, and the bass critters are aggressive
i have been diving lake oahe for 20 years tons of bass in system right now.. those bass are real mean critter down in that water i have seen 1 bass chase a school of walleye of his hunting ground

so i spear my limit of bass pretty much any time i go now thats all i really see

the idea that walleye are deep chasing herring -- hmm well if thats true and a big if - we would have had caught fish this last winter shallow and we did not

bass are fun to catch -- and eat id you clean them good - besides you boys better thin them little buggers out
Old 03-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Walleye Numbers Down 2017

Should't come as a surprise

http://www.todayskccr.com/blog/walle...on-lower-oahe/