Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
First trip of the year starts - now! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default First trip of the year starts - now!

Well, my bags are packed and I'm leaving early in the morning with my son Brendan for Sioux Lookout.
This year rather complain about winter I'm embracing it with an ice fishing trip to Sunset Country.

It will be interesting to experience the fishery up there in the winter, my guess is I'll be spoiled now when it comes to ice fishing. The best part is the temps look like they're going to moderate a fair bit when we're there. (thank goodness!)

Should make for a great story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Borger View Post
Well, my bags are packed and I'm leaving early in the morning with my son Brendan for Sioux Lookout.
This year rather complain about winter I'm embracing it with an ice fishing trip to Sunset Country.

It will be interesting to experience the fishery up there in the winter, my guess is I'll be spoiled now when it comes to ice fishing. The best part is the temps look like they're going to moderate a fair bit when we're there. (thank goodness!)

Should make for a great story!
I lived in Kenora for many years and spent many days ice fishing the LOTW and many smaller inland lakes.It is a blast and fishing should be very productive.However, if driving on the ice make sure you stay on the designated ice roads.My friends tell me that they had some very mild weather over the winter and the ice may not be as thick as it normally would be for this time of year.

Had a friend put his 3/4 ton Ford through the ice and it sank to the bottom because he ventured off the ice road near Treaty Island in Kenora.All three passengers got out alive,...barely.In the spring he rented a barge and pulled it from the 50 feet of water and had it back on the road 3 weeks later.****,...I told him if it was a Dodge he could have drove it out of the lake to the landing,

Watch out for those pesky ice ridges if travelling by snowmobile,...I hit one years ago on a bright sunny day and went for a 15 foot sail through the air,...the snow machine was a write off.

Also went through the ice while hunting one winter.Was walking on a narrow slow flowing river that had over two feet of ice over it.What I didn't realize was that there was a Beaver dam that stretched the width of the river hence a weak spot with thin ice along the way.Good thing I was only about 4 feet from the bank which allowed me to reach it and escape.Biggest adrenaline rush I had ever experienced.It was -25 celsius that day and the water on my coveralls froze solid before it could leach through to my under layers which kept me warm enough to get back to my truck before hypothermia could set in.

Anyways, have a safe and productive trip to the Sioux.Lot of good fishing to be had there.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Of The Woods View Post
I lived in Kenora for many years and spent many days ice fishing the LOTW and many smaller inland lakes.It is a blast and fishing should be very productive.However, if driving on the ice make sure you stay on the designated ice roads.My friends tell me that they had some very mild weather over the winter and the ice may not be as thick as it normally would be for this time of year.

Had a friend put his 3/4 ton Ford through the ice and it sank to the bottom because he ventured off the ice road near Treaty Island in Kenora.All three passengers got out alive,...barely.In the spring he rented a barge and pulled it from the 50 feet of water and had it back on the road 3 weeks later.****,...I told him if it was a Dodge he could have drove it out of the lake to the landing,

Watch out for those pesky ice ridges if travelling by snowmobile,...I hit one years ago on a bright sunny day and went for a 15 foot sail through the air,...the snow machine was a write off.

Also went through the ice while hunting one winter.Was walking on a narrow slow flowing river that had over two feet of ice over it.What I didn't realize was that there was a Beaver dam that stretched the width of the river hence a weak spot with thin ice along the way.Good thing I was only about 4 feet from the bank which allowed me to reach it and escape.Biggest adrenaline rush I had ever experienced.It was -25 celsius that day and the water on my coveralls froze solid before it could leach through to my under layers which kept me warm enough to get back to my truck before hypothermia could set in.

Anyways, have a safe and productive trip to the Sioux.Lot of good fishing to be had there.

Thank you sir, that's some good advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

Good luck mike.should be a good week.and yes much better weather.25-30" of solid ice.not much snow cover.iam taking my truck today out on the lake for lake trout.easy to get on lake at most launch areas.crappies tomorrow but will be taking the atv as snowmobile travell will be to hard on equipment.great time of the year.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

Had a good day.truck didnt go through the ice.lol.ice almost right to the motor of the jiffy.forgot all my stuff i had in my backpack.no lures no lunch no coffee.had my crappie rod in the bag with a 1/16 oz jig.took awhile to get it to the bottom but once it did and reeled it back up a few feet had action right away.got out at 9 and off the lake at 11.fast day.got two for supper and threw 7 back.might want to try the crappie jig.lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Had a good day.truck didnt go through the ice.lol.ice almost right to the motor of the jiffy.forgot all my stuff i had in my backpack.no lures no lunch no coffee.had my crappie rod in the bag with a 1/16 oz jig.took awhile to get it to the bottom but once it did and reeled it back up a few feet had action right away.got out at 9 and off the lake at 11.fast day.got two for supper and threw 7 back.might want to try the crappie jig.lol.
Sounds like you've got some prep work to do before open water season!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

Got two months to get it together.lol.just had a bad bout with my crs problem
Old 03-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Slot Fish

Have a good trip Mike. Looking forward to hearing about your trip and the others yet to come.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Lunker View Post
Sounds like you've got some prep work to do before open water season!!!
Brought everything along today.very very good day.limit in 5 min.fished till 2 for fun and between two of us brought probably 40 lakers up.some whitefish and bass.beautifull weather today.bright and sunny and +5c.ice is close to 34-35".motor was bumping top of ice.going to rain tonight and tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Brought everything along today.very very good day.limit in 5 min.fished till 2 for fun and between two of us brought probably 40 lakers up.some whitefish and bass.beautifull weather today.bright and sunny and +5c.ice is close to 34-35".motor was bumping top of ice.going to rain tonight and tomorrow.
I now pronounce you good to go. Cheers!!!