Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shockwaves - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default Shockwaves

I'm sighting in a 50 cal that I purchased form a friend. I thought I bought 250 grain sabots but when I got to the range I saw that they were 200 grains. He had always shot 250 grains through it.

Got a couple of questions. Could that be the reason I was a foot high at 100 yards? And is 200 grains to light to shoot deer In Iowa? And from person to person would a scope be that far off, assuming it had not got bumped? He was using 100 grain pellets and I am using up the last of my loose pyrodex, any variance there between pellets and loose?

All my shots were off a a nice sturdy gun rest.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
I'm sighting in a 50 cal that I purchased form a friend. I thought I bought 250 grain sabots but when I got to the range I saw that they were 200 grains. He had always shot 250 grains through it.

Got a couple of questions. Could that be the reason I was a foot high at 100 yards? And is 200 grains to light to shoot deer In Iowa? And from person to person would a scope be that far off, assuming it had not got bumped? He was using 100 grain pellets and I am using up the last of my loose pyrodex, any variance there between pellets and loose?

All my shots were off a a nice sturdy gun rest.

Thanks.
Yes- That could be the reason...200 vs 250
Yes- Person to person the scope could be way off
Yes- pellets to your loose grains, brand and measurement could easily make it 1' off

200 grains with a well place shot is plenty to shoot deer with in 100 yards. IMHO
Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

i shoot 200 grains thru my 50 cal.
never have i ever had an issue with a deer running away after it has been hit
if you are not happy with the 200 grain shockwaves, shoot me a PM and i will buy them off you as they are getting tougher and tougher to find around me
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys.

Going out again tonight to hopefully get a tighter pattern. I'm ok with the 200's, just wanted some opinions as to the knock down power.

Gonna be patient. I'm not in a hurry to get it zeroed in, just as long as it gets there.