Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ultimate tournament boat? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Read this. Proves you don't need a fancy, big horsepower boat.
Arron Wiebe is the the mastermind of Uncut Angling, now a TV series.

http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.c...ound-final-day
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
Warrior 2090 with 275hp main, 15hp kicker, Vantage 101, Terrova 101 with I-Link, HB 1198 at helm, HB 1158 bow.

I chose Warrior cause you can hang a big outboard on the back compared to to the other glass tillers.

If we are talking wheel boat I would say Skeeter WX2190 with 300 Off Shore and all listed above
The 2090 can handle a 250. But who really wants to man handle a tiller like that? Last year they reported 61-63mph in this rig with a 250 etec. To me if you are going to run a big tiller boat you should have one that you wont need a kicker as well for forward trolling.

There is a difference between the ultimate tournament boat and what fits the budget. On the extreme end of the spectrum I would say the WX2190 w/ 300 and 9.9, Terrova 101 and what ever graphs you want. Now a very good boat that wont break the bank is the WX1880 or 1900. I have seen these boats handle some nasty stuff on LOTW when other 20' boats have turned around and fished the river all day
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter20 View Post
The 2090 can handle a 250. But who really wants to man handle a tiller like that? Last year they reported 61-63mph in this rig with a 250 etec. To me if you are going to run a big tiller boat you should have one that you wont need a kicker as well for forward trolling.

There is a difference between the ultimate tournament boat and what fits the budget. On the extreme end of the spectrum I would say the WX2190 w/ 300 and 9.9, Terrova 101 and what ever graphs you want. Now a very good boat that wont break the bank is the WX1880 or 1900. I have seen these boats handle some nasty stuff on LOTW when other 20' boats have turned around and fished the river all day
Yep, you are right Corey, darn 250 max HP.

I would disagree about the kicker on a BIG tiller. It has the best of both worlds as far as floor space and a big/fast outboard. Kicker is then needed for finite speed control. I have limited experience in holding onto the BIG tillers. But in my experience with the Titan systems (and others like it) it "ain't no thing".

You are correct with the WX1850 (WX1880), WX1900, Ranger 1850 etc. All great boats and handle the big water just fine. Of course I am partial to the WX1850 since I ran one and have most experience in that.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-27-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Minnow

I honestly love the rebel. Especially on the Missouri River and many smaller lakes buy someday ill definitely outgrow it. I also really like the mx series from skeeter .
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Bass Cat Jaguar with a 350. It will stomp any walleye boat, handle the rough stuff just as well and can fish skinny water better than any walleye boat on the market. Gets better mileage, has more storage space and will pull easier than a walleye boat.

Downside is trolling but who does that anyways? Personally I would never own a walleye boat again and all I fished was walleyes.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Harsh Unlogged

It is great to read of you and your fishing partners renewed interest in tournament fishing. A great sport to compete in, tournament fishing will help you to develop skills that will be useful throughout your life. One thing to remember, the better the competition you go up against, the better you two will become.

No one boat or model will be the ultimate tournament boat for all individuals. Your own style of fishing and where your best talents lay should determine your specific needs. What might prove very effective for one angler, might not even interest another. We all have different preferences as to how we go about walleye fishing. The important thing thing is to go about it safely and enjoy what you are doing.

In the spring and fall of the year where I fish,just sitting on a white plastic 5 gallon pail and wearing a good set of chest waders can catch me all the eater and trophy walleyes I desire. Very enjoyable and cost effective, however useless for tournament fishing.

Back to the original question. The ultimate tournament boat for me would be a Warrior Boats 2090, Tournament Edition Backtroller. Equipped with a 225hp Evinrude Etec H.O. tiller and the Warrior power steering. Minnkota front and rear 101# 36 volt trolling motors, an Evinrude 15hp H.O. kicker when needed, Walleye Masters Splash Guards and 3 HDS Lowrance electronic units. That would be the ultimate tournament and guide boat for me. Which is why I ordered one.

Have a great open water season. After this winter we all deserve one.

Pete Harsh / MR.TILLER
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

NDeyes - the answer to your question will depend on the waters you'll be fishing - obviously Sakakawea and Oahe can challenge a boat when the wind picks up, which it usually does in the Dakotas.

But - your post brings back memories. A couple years ago, I got a call from a team that wanted to enter our tournaments for the first time, had never fished in our tournaments before. They had - a Lund Rebel XL 1625 with a 60 hp Merc fourstroke. Good guys, young, new boat, but smaller. Our tournaments are VERY competitive, our contestant field is as tough as their is anywhere - they promptly won their first tournament. They continue to fish out of the 1625 xl Rebel, and continue to cash checks. But we are not dealing with big water either.

Match the tournamnet to the size boat you have - and you'll be fine with what you've got.

On the other hand - I'm kinda like Tmac - I've got a Pro V and love it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

Many have already said it. Your boat is more than adequate for what you want to do.

You asked about the ULTIMATE rig so that is where I answered the question. However I have been beat and seen others beaten by a fellow in a very old and comparatively slow boat more than once.

Boats don't catch fish.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

You can get a 35 foot center console with a 1500 hp engine in it and be safe and secure in all weather, and still be able to run at 80 mph to and from the fishing grounds.

I don 't know if it would be the ultimate walleye rig, but it would be a heck of a kick to ride in.

REW
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
NDeyes - the answer to your question will depend on the waters you'll be fishing - obviously Sakakawea and Oahe can challenge a boat when the wind picks up, which it usually does in the Dakotas.

But - your post brings back memories. A couple years ago, I got a call from a team that wanted to enter our tournaments for the first time, had never fished in our tournaments before. They had - a Lund Rebel XL 1625 with a 60 hp Merc fourstroke. Good guys, young, new boat, but smaller. Our tournaments are VERY competitive, our contestant field is as tough as their is anywhere - they promptly won their first tournament. They continue to fish out of the 1625 xl Rebel, and continue to cash checks. But we are not dealing with big water either.

Match the tournamnet to the size boat you have - and you'll be fine with what you've got.

On the other hand - I'm kinda like Tmac - I've got a Pro V and love it.
Amen, pretty sure there hasn't yet been a walleye caught out of a boat going 60mph. About 10 years ago a couple lead day 1 of a local 80 boat tournament out of a pontoon boat with a 25hp motor. They had to run 30 miles round trip too. Sure, a fast boat is nice, but, finding the right presentation is far more important on most water. Truth is, all but for the big water anything over 90hp on an 18' boat is just icing on the cake. I've spanked many a bigger boat and gotten spanked by many a smaller.