Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bob, or anyone who had Insurance claim question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Insurance (Sponsored Forums) > Let's Discuss Your Boat Insurance

Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Keeper

Default Bob, or anyone who had Insurance claim question

I had a vandalism thief on my pick up and some stuff was stolen. Insurance company says they'll pay for all items that was bolt on truck up to maximum of $1000. iPod and portable gps not replace due to it not being permanently bolted down. Ok I guess I get it.

My real question:

If compared to the same as car insurance. Would my 2 898, TM, rods/reels, tackle, ect be covered if stolen from my boat?(Since they are not permanently mounted) the sad thing is that I take all the electronics, TM, tackle bags, rods and put them in the truck when staying at motels/hotels cause it seems safer. The insurance guys said ALL of it would NOT been covered since its not bolted down.

I know I bought extra coverage for this stuff when I bought my boat insurance. What do I do? Do I leave it on boat with higher risk of it being stolen? I don't have a problem taking it ALL off and taking it in but then why pay extra coverage right?

By the way both policy is by the same company. I hope I didn't confuse you guys/gals.
Humminbird 898CSI bow
Minnkota 80 Terrova Ipilot
9.9 ProKicker (near future)
Trollmaster (near future)
GSP everyday fishing partner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Keeper

Read or have YOUR policy explained by your Agent. Policy coverages can be different by policy and a little confusing. Generally things bolted to your boat are covered under boat equipment. The dollar amount is a % of your total boat coverage amount and is stated on the declaration page of your policy Taking anything off your boat and putting it in your truck becomes personal property and are covered under your property insurace policy( Homepwners ect.)
Rods reels ect can be endorsed to be covered under the boat pokicy however generally your homeowners provides FULL replacement cost without depreciation which is usually better than the coverage provided by endorsing Boat Policy. However all bets for coverage for persoal property under your homeowners polucy are off if the boat sinks.
Made a living explaining these coverages for 30 years.
Now the disclosure that I have been retired for 7 years, Talk with your agent. If he or she seems confused get another agent.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

I specifically asked for and received insurance to cover theft/loss of fishing/trolling gear from my boat. I believe it's a line item in my policy summary. no so with my vehicle polciy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Keeper

You normally will never find personal property (stuff) coverage through an auto policy. There are a few exceptions. Scheduling fishing tacking on a boat policy is possible and often the correct way to provide coverage. The only concern might be whether the coverage offered under the boat policy has depreciation schedule verus full replacement cost (dollars to replace new) as most home owners policies offer. Your homeowners policy would provide coverage for fishing tackle which has been stolen, Your homeowners policy MAY not provide coverage if it is insured through another policy.
I am sure your agent provided you with the best possible coverage, go catch fish.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Minnow

Default Personal Effects vs Boating Equipment

You first need to determine if the item is considered boating equipment or personal effects. If you remove boating equipment from your boat, the equipment is still covered by the boat policy while in your truck or elsewhere. Personal effects items are only covered while loading, unloading or on the boat.
In order to understand Personal Effects you have to first review the definition of what is covered as the Hull (boat, machinery and equipment). A typical definition of Hull may include spars, sails, machinery, furniture, dinghies/tenders, outboard motors, electronics, fittings and other equipment normally required for the operation or maintenance of the vessel.
The personal effects definition is narrow by design. Most items on the boat are considered boating equipment. Bolted down or portable does not come into play. Personal Effects generally include items like clothing, fishing rods and reels and scuba equipment.
Electronics, safety equipment (life jackets), furniture and a ship to shore cord would all be part of the boat and not covered by personal effects.

Last edited by Golden; 06-28-2013 at 08:47 PM.