Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bunk Trailer to roller trailer - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

I did the conversion on a Bear trailer with an 18 foot Alumacraft boat on it. It was about $400.00 for the roller assembly's. I did the work myself and am quite happy I made the conversion. I used a combination of four assemblys to match the wood bunks that I removed. I used Dutton-Lainson galvanized assemblys like in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-04_072743.png
Views:	53
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	256186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

I've had both. In my opinion, bunks are the best for small boats. Once you hit 22' and above, rollers are tops, hands down. There may be a learning curve, but once you master that, you are gold.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Keeper

Why are you not happy with the bunks you currently have?
I've had rollers on my last 2 boats and have considered changing them to bunk like I had on my first 2 boats. As said earlier, rollers seem to just beat the crap out of the bottom of your boat.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

I had a SmokerCraft 162 ProMag on a ShoreLand'r roller trailer. No marks on it when I sold it and I looked carefully so the buyer didn't see something I missed.
I think it is of paramount importance that the transom must be resting on the rear rollers to prevent damage when the boat is winched up and tied down.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

Most boats spend the majority of their life sitting on the trailer. I saw on another site, some guy bought a used boat, with the hopes of fixing it up. Once he got it home, and crawled under it, every spot a roller touched the boat, there was a major indent, in the boat.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Most boats spend the majority of their life sitting on the trailer. I saw on another site, some guy bought a used boat, with the hopes of fixing it up. Once he got it home, and crawled under it, every spot a roller touched the boat, there was a major indent, in the boat.
A good quality, properly designed aluminum boat is NOT going to dent because of rollers.

andersaki
Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

I would think if the rear tie-downs weren't used the rollers could beat some nasty dents in a hull. Like going over a nasty railroad crossing.
Neither of the two roller trailers I have owned didn't even put a dimple in the boats.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
A good quality, properly designed aluminum boat is NOT going to dent because of rollers.

andersaki
Ditto!

My 1997 Sylvan sits on a roller trailer and doesn't have any dent's, dimples, etc. At least from the trailer. Got plenty of tree rash.