Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer lites - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Keeper

Default Trailer lites

Before I tear into my problem thought I would solicit advice/comments on here, so here goes.....I have a trailer with surge brakes, reverse lites, 5 flat wire harness. Tow vehicle is equipped with the reverse override wire (hence 5 flat). When I got back from a fishing trip yesterday I noticed when I was backing up the driveway (with hazard lites engaged) that my reverse lites were flashing as well. Then, when I was almost backed into the garage, I pressed brake pedal and noticed my amber running lites would brighten up in conjunction with brake pedal position. I have some ideas on what the problem is and I'm goin with a ground issue for starters. What say u WC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

It's a ground issue, the ground wire does not have enough capacity to handle all the loads (broken/frayed/undersized) so the other circuits flash as you have described.

HRG
Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Lmb,
If your current lighting system relies on the body of the trailer for ground, add a ground wire to all of your lights with a good solid ground running through your flat 5 connector to your vehicle ground.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2016, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
It's a ground issue, the ground wire does not have enough capacity to handle all the loads (broken/frayed/undersized) so the other circuits flash as you have described.

HRG
Bingo...............HRG hit it on the head............bad grounds on 12 volt systems will drive you crazy.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-08-2016, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post

HRG
Adding to that, make sure you have a dedicated ground from the truck wiring to the trailer wiring, I've seen where they use the ball and hitch as ground, not good.

And...if the trailer is fairly old, just buy a trailer light kit and forgo the troubleshooting if you haven't found the trouble in a short while.

Al
Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Keeper

Upon further inspection in day light, the ground wire trailer side is cut rite off, havnt fixed it yet but it should be simple and I'm thinking it will solve problem 100%
Old 09-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Keeper

Repaired ground and problem solved. Sure is nice when u find the problem, fix it, and problem goes away. That is usually only the case with trailer wiring 20% of the time 100% of the time
Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Default Any Ideas on my issue?

I have a 2004 and a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The lights on my trailer (Flat 4 wire) work great on the 2013 Wrangler and not at all on the 2004. The 2004 has the plug in harness adapter that plugs into the tail light harness and routes to the hitch. I installed it just last year and used a good amount of dielectric grease and such. The 2013 wrangler has the light plug (same 4 wire flat) factory installed.

When I put a meter on the connector on the 2004, I get 12v on the pins with the different connections as I cycle lights, brakes and directional. I ran a continuity test with the meter from one of the bumper to frame bolts on the Jeep to the tongue of the trailer and got good continuity so it has a ground through the hitch.

Is it supposed to be pulling a ground through the connector as well? What am I missing? The 2004 Jeep will not light a single light on the trailer.

Thanks,

LM
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Minnow

One of the wires on your 4 pin connector should be a ground wire if i'm not mistaken.

All of the trailers i've worked on were the round 7 pin plugs but the 4 pin should have a white ground wire as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traile..._North_America