Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My Crestliner Commander 1850 Break In and Results - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Most people do not run a separate battery for electronics. That is the only battery That I think would not be needed. I run a higher end Agm size 27 duel purpose for my main motor and electronics. You could use a size 31 duel purpose for even more power. I ran 6 gauge wires from my trolling batts to my starting battery's. I left them unconnected. That way I can jump start the main motor if I run the starting battery down to far. I never had to do that. I have hds 12 and hds 9 for electronics. Is it just price that you do not want to run stainless steel prop. The black max is a cheap prop. For that size engine you are really limiting performance using a alluinum prop compared to stainless steel. I would settle on a prop first before messing with your engine height. For me the height on your boat is a good starting point. Maybe you could raise the motor up one hole. You pretty much have to test it on the water and see how it performs.
Thanks for the input Snowking.
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Minnow

I run a dedicated starting battery. A house electronics battery and 3 batteries for my trolling motor. Thought is that I don't want my starting battery to be dead at the end of the day running the sonar,radio,stereo, live wells,etc.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:18 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger47 View Post
I run a dedicated starting battery. A house electronics battery and 3 batteries for my trolling motor. Thought is that I don't want my starting battery to be dead at the end of the day running the sonar,radio,stereo, live wells,etc.
I totally agree with you jigger. And, I believe there are more people out there doing the same thing now. House battery for the electronics is getting more popular every year, especially with the expensive electronics we have today.
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Slot Fish

I picked up a Mercury Black Max 14.5 x 19 aluminum prop from my dealer to try (Cedar Lake Sales in West Bend). These guys are the real deal...they want you happy, and most of all, they themselves want me to get the maximum performance out of my new rig. I will report back on Monday with my results. Oh, by the way, if any of you are thinking "why not go with a stainless prop"? The reason being is that I am on the river a lot and tend to hit obstructions occasionally and I don't want to shell out big bucks for a stainless prop when I know I will probably tip a rock or log every now and then...LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Max 14.5 x 19 001 (Small).JPG
Views:	32
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	258754  
Helix 12 MEGA SI

Last edited by BRUKSHOT; 05-17-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

Thats the same reason i run an alum. Cheaper to buy a new prop than a new lower unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Thats the same reason i run an alum. Cheaper to buy a new prop than a new lower unit

Roger that! I run on the river 90% of the time and I have been "known" to hit obstructions like logs and other junk floating down the river...LOL! ****, I have already taken out a lower unit!!!
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 05-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Slot Fish

I also run a house battery for electronics. It runs 2 fishfinders a fish hawk, vhf radio, stereo and 2 downriggers. It's a group 31 and hasn't let me down yet. It is wired to be hooked up with my starting battery if I ever needed to. I also have 2 battery's up front for the trolling motor. I also have a kicker. My rig is heavy and it's set up just the way I want it. Does it take a few mph of the top? I'm sure and I don't think I could care any less. To be honest I don't have a clue how fast my boat will go because I don't think I have ever had it over 25.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster7600 View Post
I also run a house battery for electronics. It runs 2 fishfinders a fish hawk, vhf radio, stereo and 2 downriggers. It's a group 31 and hasn't let me down yet. It is wired to be hooked up with my starting battery if I ever needed to. I also have 2 battery's up front for the trolling motor. I also have a kicker. My rig is heavy and it's set up just the way I want it. Does it take a few mph of the top? I'm sure and I don't think I could care any less. To be honest I don't have a clue how fast my boat will go because I don't think I have ever had it over 25.

yeah...I guess I'm not that worried about top end speed either as I will be mainly trolling with the ulterra. And, I am not a tournament guy that needs the highest speed to race to the best spot first. I am getting between 40 and 44 top end with the 4 blade spitfire prop, and I am fairly happy with that, but the thing is, I am only getting around 5150 RPM at WOT. Many are telling me that I should get my RPMs up because it is not good for the motor to be so close to the low end of the RPM range and that I may have the wrong prop set up on it. This motors RPM range is 5000 to 5800. That's why I want to try a different prop. If I can get my RPMs up to 5600 or so, I will be happy. If I gain an increase in speed, that will be a bonus!
Helix 12 MEGA SI
Old 05-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

As I said earlier, give a 17 pitch 3 blade prop a try in addition to the 19 pitch 3 blade prop that you are going to try.

You never know until you try a particular prop how it will perform on your rig.

Always a good idea to have a lower pitch prop on board for the times you need to pull stumps or a dozen water tubes or similar activities.

Be safe
Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
As I said earlier, give a 17 pitch 3 blade prop a try in addition to the 19 pitch 3 blade prop that you are going to try.

You never know until you try a particular prop how it will perform on your rig.

Always a good idea to have a lower pitch prop on board for the times you need to pull stumps or a dozen water tubes or similar activities.

Be safe
The only reason why I want to try the Black Max 14.5 x 19 3 blade prop first is because this is the prop that was listed on Crestliner's website for the 150 and the 2017 1850 Commander. I want to see how what they suggest performs, and then, if I still am not convinced, I will try the 17 pitch.
My dealer actually suggested to try the 17 pitch first too, just like you suggested. I guess I'm hard headed...that's what my wife says anyway...LOL! - Bruk.
Helix 12 MEGA SI