Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Verado High Oil Temp - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 PM
LOWrider

Default Verado High Oil Temp

Anyone else experience this?

Have a 2016 200 Verado that twice alarmed on high oil temp. Both times I had just left our landing and boat was 'digging' - not up on plane yet so it was angled up fairly dramatically. Both times I immediately cut power and boat leveled out, and oil temperature showed normal - in fact motor was still cold as we were just starting out. Both times I ran the motor all day, monitored the oil temp and it was fine.

Here's my theory - the dramatic angle up of the pitch for the boat and motor caused the motor oil to flow away from the temperature sensor in the motor gearcase, and the computer sensed that as an oil temperature problem. I checked and the oil level was right on mark for the motor, so no problem there.

Any experts out there that can shed some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Low,
Add Bennett fully adjustable trim tabs, so that the tabs when fully deployed on the boat planing out do not let the boat's bow rise and cause the excessive angle in the boat.

No angle, no oil flow problem, no high temp issue.

-----------
Or, when taking off, you keep the motor fully trimmed in and never floor the throttle, i.e. just advance the throttle gradually, so that the boat comes on plane, without excessive bow rise.
Yes, the boat really will come on plane with just slight advancing of the throttle as needed to push the boat faster and faster - without having the bow point to the sky.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

You need to let the motor warm up a bit before dumping the hammer.

Putz around or use high idle while you park the truck until your water temps are over 100 (f) (takes about a minute).

That will solve your problem and be better for your motor.

You don't start a cold truck and floor it. Your four stroke outboard is no different.

I don't know the exact reason why it alarms high with cold oil, but I think it might have something to do with the oil being too thick (cold) and not circulating properly?

Some other tips for any four stroke owner, including Verados:

EFI systems add additional fuel to try and keep a cold/idling motor warm. Some can slip by the rings and dilute your oil.

If you troll or use low rpms any significant amount, at the end of the day take it for a run at high rpms (like back to the landing) to burn off any gas that may have gotten in your oil (making oil).

Always run fuel additives like Quick Clean (Mercury/Quicksilver) or Ring Free (Yamaha) to help keep the rings/cylinders clean and minimize fuel blow by.

"When told 'you stink like fish'.......smile and take it as a compliment"

2005 Pro-Line 24' walkaround 250 Verado
1998 Lund 1600 Pro Sport 60hp Johnson
2012 Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
2002 Warrior V177 Pro Tiller 125 Merc (sold)
1998 Warrior V177 75hp Merc (sold)
2015 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel

Last edited by B-man; 05-17-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

So True, I always start mine and let it idle while I park the truck/trailer and run it a bit before heading out. Also what REW stated, keep the trim all the way down and there's no real reason to go full throttle to get on plane with that kind of power. If it struggles, then you're prop needs to be addressed.

Also, once you get to your destination, let the motor idle for a minute before you turn it off. Lets the temp and oil pressure normalize after the time at high speed.

A few little items that will help your motor last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post

Putz around or use high idle while you park the truck until your water temps are over 100 (f)

You don't start a cold truck and floor it. Your four stroke outboard is no different.

I don't know the exact reason why it alarms high with cold oil, but I think it might have something to do with the oil being too thick (cold) and not circulating properly?

EFI systems add additional fuel to try and keep a cold/idling motor warm. Some can slip by the rings and dilute your oil.

If you troll or use low rpms any significant amount, at the end of the day take it for a run at high rpms (like back to the landing) to burn off any gas that may have gotten in your oil (making oil).

Always run fuel additives like Quick Clean (Mercury/Quicksilver) or Ring Free (Yamaha) to help keep the rings clean and minimize fuel blow by.

Evinrude 15HO Kicker.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Are you sure the alarm is for "HIGH" oil temp?

The way it sounds, it might be an oil temp problem that is setting off the alarm. The oil temp is not warm enough to start accelerating/get on plane.

Let it warm up a little more next time, and see if it works without setting off the alarm.

Might be an oil TEMP problem. Just not HIGH oil temp.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Wallhanger

I recall when I had my 250 vrod I needed to let it warm up for some time prior to take off. I am guessing, like others have said, that is your issue.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post

Putz around or use high idle while you park the truck until your water temps are over 100 (f) (takes about a minute).

Always run fuel additives like Quick Clean (Mercury/Quicksilver) or Ring Free (Yamaha) to help keep the rings/cylinders clean and minimize fuel blow by.
Running it hard may help clean up some components in the top end, but I don't think its going to get gas out of the oil.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 PM
LOWrider

Thanks for all the advice. Will be putting it to use.

Interesting side note. I previously had a Merc EFI 115 that would trigger high engine temp alarm when being operated in very cold water. Happened several times with water in the low 40's. Mechanics could find nothing wrong with the motor - motor was fine, just had to restart and keep going. Makes me wonder if it is a common thing with Merc engineered temperature sensors that sense very low temperatures as overheat conditions.

Kind of a pucker situation when you are 12 miles out in November with nobody else around and your motor alarms and shuts itself off!