Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New to Walleye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Minnow

Default New to Walleye

Hi,

I have never purposely targeted Walleye, I fish Muskie and pike and Bass. This year I want to learn some Walleye tactics. I plan on hiring a guide in the coming weeks. In the mean time...Any advice for opener? I'll be fishing Tonka, water last week was 54-56. I plan on bobber fishing with a jig head.

I'm curious on what depth should I be looking at, structure to look for? and Minnows or Leaches?

I appreciate any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

On Tonka look for gently sloping weed beds with access to nearby deep water. Fish 4 -10 FOW this early. I was out there last Friday and the water temps were 57-60 F. Should be great by the opener. An excellent walleye tactic for Tonka is to fish for bass. Try a drop shot rig with minnows, leaches or maybe plastic, I'll bet that you'll catch both bass and walleye. Talk to Dustin at D & H Custom Rods and Tackle in Navarre for a local guide. Be prepared for crowded landings on the opener. Good luck!

andersaki
Old 05-18-2017, 06:45 AM
Minnow

Just my opinion but.Buy Mark Martin's book . year round walleye I have got a lot of good info from that book.....Now go catch some of those Poor Mans Lobster