Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Impact 1775 cavitation and other issues - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
It's not as difficult as you described, but it is difficult if trimmed incorrectly. If I trim up while on plane the steering becomes effortless. This is always at some point prior to the prop blowing out, so there's always that sweet spot in trim that makes steering very easy.
See IMO this shouldn't be an issue.

You shouldn't NEED to have the trim absolutely perfect, teetering on the edge of the prop blowing out to have easy steering. Our last boat had none of these issues (Sylvan with Evinrude). But I do know what you're saying, mine does get a little easier, but still stays stiff. I feel like I need to write instructions and post them to the dash in case a buddy or my dad drives it.

I guess I'll give it a try when I get the boat back from the motor being raised. If that doesn't solve it this boat is gone. I'm not going back a 4th time only to hear this **it is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders31 View Post
See IMO this shouldn't be an issue.

You shouldn't NEED to have the trim absolutely perfect, teetering on the edge of the prop blowing out to have easy steering. Our last boat had none of these issues (Sylvan with Evinrude). But I do know what you're saying, mine does get a little easier, but still stays stiff. I feel like I need to write instructions and post them to the dash in case a buddy or my dad drives it.

I guess I'll give it a try when I get the boat back from the motor being raised. If that doesn't solve it this boat is gone. I'm not going back a 4th time only to hear this **it is normal.

Did you happen to have hydraulic steering on your previous boat? I had a 2015 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650 with 90hp four stroke previously and it was the same as my 1775 Impact.

Please note that my steering doesn't get too difficult until I'm at 15-20 mph.

I'm going to test the new prop and possibly raise my motor a tad when I can find a day when I'm not fishing or working.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
Did you happen to have hydraulic steering on your previous boat? I had a 2015 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650 with 90hp four stroke previously and it was the same as my 1775 Impact.

Please note that my steering doesn't get too difficult until I'm at 15-20 mph.

I'm going to test the new prop and possibly raise my motor a tad when I can find a day when I'm not fishing or working.
That was the interesting part, it didn't have hydraulic steering. I'm really thinking it could be the motor height issue. But raising one hole isn't that big of a difference so I don't see how that's going to be a drastic change.

When we brought this up to the dealer we were told we should have added power steering. Well we would have, if we knew it was an option/it would be like it is.

Once I get to speed it becomes difficult too, it seems like steering left is easier than turning right.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

You dont need power steering, The Sea Star hydraulic steer option still takes Effort, to add the Power option you would spend $1500 on Hydraulic steering then another $2000-$2500 on the Power Steering...... http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...ering-new/spa/
Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Slot Fish

Raise the motor it will help with your steering. My 150 is in hole 4 go to at least to hole 3 with yours.

Last edited by Northwoodswalleye; 05-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Minnow

Ok, so I just picked the boat up from having the motor raised one hole. It's now on the second from the top. I'll be taking it out tonight to see if it helped anything.

Here's one question. Does this setup look normal with the cavitation plate? I once read it should be an inch or so above the bottom of the hull

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...psayfqclqt.jpg
Old 05-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Wallhanger

Height looks in the ballpark for a 115, but I suspect it could go higher without the prop venting on turns and at high trim angles- this depends on the prop you are going to be ending up with. Other posters have noted that as you lift the motor up the steering effort tends to reduce- and if the boat wants to pull left or right at speed you should be able to get steering wheel torque down to a minimum by playing with the trim and without having to trim excessively.

I set up a 115 Merc 4S last year with manual steering- the owner was complaining that steering effort was high at cruising speed and higher- which I verified. The steering effort could not be equalized in both directions by playing with the trim. This 115 had a trim tab on the cav plate, and with a tab adjustment the steering effort was the same in both directions when trimmed properly at cruising speed and above. I did have to show the owner how to trim for each speed to keep the steering wheel torque minimized. If the motor didn't run a trim tab on the cav plate- due to potential prop interference, then I would have added a pop riveted-on skeg tab. On this rig, I didn't find that the manual steering gear required excessive effort. I assume that your rig does not need a lot of force to turn the motor when it's not running- thus indicating a kinked steering cable.

Like it or not, if the factory/dealer doesn't have adequate info on what sort of engine height and prop selection combinations will work, then the owner has to "wing it" on set-up. In your case it sounds like T-Mac and others have given you tips on props that work, but engine height still is an issue. I really don't think you would need Seastar hydraulic steering on a 115- and you certainly should not need a full power steering system. In any event, a properly set-up and properly trimmed rig should not have the steering pulling to one side or the other at any planing speed.
Doug
Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
Height looks in the ballpark for a 115, but I suspect it could go higher without the prop venting on turns and at high trim angles- this depends on the prop you are going to be ending up with. Other posters have noted that as you lift the motor up the steering effort tends to reduce- and if the boat wants to pull left or right at speed you should be able to get steering wheel torque down to a minimum by playing with the trim and without having to trim excessively.

I set up a 115 Merc 4S last year with manual steering- the owner was complaining that steering effort was high at cruising speed and higher- which I verified. The steering effort could not be equalized in both directions by playing with the trim. This 115 had a trim tab on the cav plate, and with a tab adjustment the steering effort was the same in both directions when trimmed properly at cruising speed and above. I did have to show the owner how to trim for each speed to keep the steering wheel torque minimized. If the motor didn't run a trim tab on the cav plate- due to potential prop interference, then I would have added a pop riveted-on skeg tab. On this rig, I didn't find that the manual steering gear required excessive effort. I assume that your rig does not need a lot of force to turn the motor when it's not running- thus indicating a kinked steering cable.

Like it or not, if the factory/dealer doesn't have adequate info on what sort of engine height and prop selection combinations will work, then the owner has to "wing it" on set-up. In your case it sounds like T-Mac and others have given you tips on props that work, but engine height still is an issue. I really don't think you would need Seastar hydraulic steering on a 115- and you certainly should not need a full power steering system. In any event, a properly set-up and properly trimmed rig should not have the steering pulling to one side or the other at any planing speed.
Doug
Hi Doug
I just took my 1775 impact with the 115 merc on its maiden voyage. It was much harder steering one direction than the other. This was not only at planing speeds but when the boat was going slow - like trolling speed. Will a trim tab adjustment help for this situation? Is there something else I should be looking at?
Thanks
Gulo
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo View Post
Hi Doug
I just took my 1775 impact with the 115 merc on its maiden voyage. It was much harder steering one direction than the other. This was not only at planing speeds but when the boat was going slow - like trolling speed. Will a trim tab adjustment help for this situation? Is there something else I should be looking at?
Thanks
Gulo
Gulo, I had a 2012 Impact with 115 four-stroke. It had no-feedback steering which, I believe, was designed to prevent what you are experiencing. I'm not sure how that worked, but I had no such issues. And I believe the motor was quite a bit heavier than the newer 115s. I think it had to do with the torque from the prop, and not so much the weight of the motor, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it might help. Not an expert, as you can probably tell. There are others here who understand the technology better. I'm just going by my experience. Stay tuned.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo View Post
Hi Doug

Thanks

Gulo

Mine does the same thing but it doesn't pull one direction or the other when on plane and loosening grip on the steering wheel. It's not difficult to turn either way so I don't let it bother me. I think it may be the nature of the beast unless it is extremely difficult to steer in one direction vs. the other.