Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need lures to fish in weedy, shallow lakes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Minnow

Default Need lures to fish in weedy, shallow lakes

I'm getting back into freshwater fishing after a long absence and need some advice on lure selection for shore casting.

I found a few nice lakes with a verity of species - so far, I've caught various panfish and pickerel. The problem is that the lakes are filled with lily pads (and probably other shallow weeds) and I can't throw any of my hard baits with treble hooks, because they get either get snagged on something, or pick up weeds, 100% of the time.

I'd like to cast something other than a worm in these lakes.

What can you experienced anglers recommend?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if this will be of help to you, depending on jig head availability. I pour my own heads - I take a shad dart head and remove the front part of the head back to the hook, making a smooth slant, so there is no lead to catch on the weeds. I use an overhead spinner and twister type tail super glued to the head. Colors as what is working in your waters. I like bright orange head and chartreuse tail, gold spinner. Work it slowly through the weeds. You might be able to pick up some similar heads, but I like the slanted head, as it causes the bait to wiggle. I believe the bright colors are helpful, as the fish need to be able to pick out the bait among all the weeds. It is relatively weedless without being fish less.

Bill
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 PM
Keeper

It can be a blast throwing a top water mouse bait in those areas and walking it across the Lilly pads getting a big old bass or pike to blow up on it.
If you're fishing from the shore, think as if you're fishing from a boat and pitch jigs and worms to open areas, but not so far out that you have an entire jungle to work back through.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Wallhanger

In addition to a mouse pattern,you could also try a weedless top water frog pattern and hop it over the Lilly pads. A Johnson silver minnow is a nice weedless spoon that can catch pike ,walleye and bass.

Have fun getting back into the fishing addiction that so many of us have !!!!

PjShorthorn
Old 05-18-2017, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Texas rigged plastic worms will slide through the slop and catch just about anything. Also try bass jigs. They have a turned up hook and usually have a skirt and a rattle. Put on a pork rind or the plastic of your choice and flip it on to the edge of the lily pads, wait a few, then give it a tug and let it sink and be prepared to set the hook!

andersaki
Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Northland weed weasel rigged with a minnow work very well when working weedy areas. Very easy to get through the weeds with minimal weed hook up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...e=off&tbm=shop

Ty lighter jig weight rather than heavier. The lighter jig heads will tend to glide just over the tops of the weeds and be attractive to waiting walleye below.

Be safe
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Keeper

depending on how thick the weeds are you can throw a spinnerbait, swimbait (both open hook with a jig head, or texas rigged with a weighted hook), possibly a square bill crankbait if the weeds are sparse enough. a shakey head rigged weedless would work as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Keeper

Glad to see you back. I spent about 10 years fishing saltwater with maybe 1 trip up north every 3 years. While I was having a blast saltwater fishing, I missed my north woods fishing so much I have now integrated it back in and am fishing 60% fresh 40% saltwater now. I found that I really need both to be happy.

Johnsons silver minnow. I used these when i was a kid but never really used them in adulthood until I started using them for redfish, now when hitting a weedy bay or casting a weed line in freshwater its always an option. The top water options mentioned above are a good idea as well, but give a Johnsons silver minnow(I like gold) a try.