Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye spinning reel "super" line preferences - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Minnow

You are spot on with having 2 spools filled with different line to vary it up and come up with a preference.ive been using P-line cxx 8lb test and I love it.its a copolymer that gives decent stretch but is more sensitive for jigging.its way more forgiving than flourocarbon which can be a nitemare on spinning gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Keeper

Default Fireline

Fireline in dark gray at LOTW for me is a really good set up. My cousin likes spiderwire and power pro. I like power pro on my musky set up and the bigger stuff.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Minnow

Because I feel lazy this morning I didn't read through all the previous replies, so apologies if this has already been covered!

I am a HUGE fan of braid - extremely sensitive, extremely strong, no memory, lasts for a very long time without weakening. In most Canada lakes I've fished, the fish don't tend to be line-shy, so that isn't an issue. The main reason I suggest tying a mono or fluoro leader to the braid is that in your typical rocky Canadian Shield lake where you know you're going to get snagged a fair amount, braid can be REALLY hard to break. I have seen people break rod tips trying to break free from a rock. And you don't want to cut floating line like braid because it has the potential to get wrapped up in props.

A 4-8' fluoro leader will keep the sensitivity allowing you to feel light bites, while making it much easier to snap the leader if need be to get freed from rocks or wood.

I usually do 15lb Power Pro with 6-lb fluoro leader.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Fireline

Have used 10 lb-- 4lb diameter Fireline for 10 years Have Never had any trouble pulling line off rocks or snags Use a 5 inch piece of wood dowel. Rap line around dowel and pull works every time
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Minnow

10lb braid, take your pick lots of good options (Suffix 832, PowerPro, etc) and a 8-15lb fluorocarbon leader for some added abrasion resistance against northers and big 'eyes teeth.