Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft 165 Tiller Kicker Advice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Minnow

Default Alumacraft 165 Tiller Kicker Advice

Hi,

I have a 2016 Alumacraft Competitor 165 Tiller with a Yamaha 70 HP on it. I have a transom mount electric trolling motor that I take off when I go to Great Lakes. I want to keep the bow clear as I like it that way when I go on fishing/camping (island) trips.

I became more interested fishing salmon/trout on Lake MI than I expected and as a result of doing that, I would like to add a gas kicker for 2 main reasons: 1. Backup engine and 2. Reduce hours put on main from trolling.

I am debating between buying a 4-6 hp 20" shaft 4 stroke or getting a used Yamaha T8 if I can find one or buying a new Yamaha T9.9 (or equivalent). I want electric start and tilt if I get a 8-9.9 HP.

My main concern is if the weight of a T9.9 (about 114 lbs) is going to put the boat off balance. The transom would have been rated for a 90hp if I got the console version so maybe its not an issue?

Has anyone done this already and if so could you let me know what you did and how it worked out for you? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

I would avoid a 115 pound kicker on a 16 foot boat primarily due to the impacts of weight. It will affect trim. It may troll too fast. It likely is too heavy to uninstall/install conveniently, so it would likely would be a permanent feature. An additional 115 pounds hanging on the transom will affect trailering. It may warrant some adjustments to the trailer to keep the tongue weigh in acceptable range.

A small kicker can be installed in the 50-60 pound range which is better suited. The throttle can be set higher for slow trolling. This size will be a 1 cylinder unless you install a 2 cycle. Some people complain about the vibration of a 1 cylinder. The advantage of a small kicker is portability, and I would put up with a lot of vibration before losing the advantages of portability so it can be removed easily when not needed.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the reply. One thing I like about getting a smaller outboard is I can use it on a smaller craft for waterfowl hunting.

Out of the 6 HP options I saw, I am planning on getting a Tohatsu 20" shaft MFS6CSPROL which according to the description is a high thrust model. It weighs 60 lbs.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Wallhanger

That is the motor I would get if I was at troller. Also consider the Mercury label if it is more convenient which is a rebranded version. Finally, there is one model in that line with an alternator which would be useful to maintain battery and electronics if you troll a lot. They also offer a 25" version which, depending on your transom, will project the prop below the hull for good hookup and reverse capability without a bracket.

Last edited by DW; 05-18-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Minnow

Thanks again for advice as I have not put a kicker on a boat before.

I checked my transom. My main has a 20" shaft and the transom is about 5" higher where I would be mounting kicker not using a bracket, so think I should get the 25" version.

The sail pro versions have 5 amp alternators.

Thanks again.