Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund livewells - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Keeper

I have an '08 Lund with live well drains and plugs in the bottom of the wells. The plugs don't bother me and work ok, but when the stern well had the plug in, recirc running, the live well filled to the point where the water level reached the overflow (thru the side of the boat) water would splash over the top of the live well and spill into the bilge. I bought a couple of tubes with a rubber seal on the end which fit in the drain hole. I cut the length so water would flow out the tube/drain keeping the water level below the built in live well overflow. I have several tubes of different lengths so I can set the live well water level where I want it. And....it makes it easy to grab the tube, twist and pull, to completely drain the live well. I thought about leaving the tubes long and drilling holes in the tube at the desired water level. Then you could pull the tube and drain completely without getting hands in the water. Hope this makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I'll try to post a picture later, but what I did is put a short length of (floating) poly line on my drain plug, so when the livewell is full the line floats to the top, making it easier to reach and pull out.

HRG
I added a medium sized bobber to the pollen line so it was easy to find and always floated. I can't take credit for the idea as I read it on this forum.
wmd
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

I added flow rites cable system to my Lund crossover. I do not care if it starts leaking a little bit because I have to have the livewell empty before I leave the boat launch. I do not have a boat slip otherwise maybe the original system would be fine. It was not very pricey to add flow rites system . You just need some long skinny arms to get to the livewell drain hose.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
I added flow rites cable system to my Lund crossover. I do not care if it starts leaking a little bit because I have to have the livewell empty before I leave the boat launch. I do not have a boat slip otherwise maybe the original system would be fine. It was not very pricey to add flow rites system . You just need some long skinny arms to get to the livewell drain hose.
I think I want the flow-rite....., but not bad enough to add it after the fact. Yeah I know I'm complaining.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I'll try to post a picture later, but what I did is put a short length of (floating) poly line on my drain plug, so when the livewell is full the line floats to the top, making it easier to reach and pull out.

HRG
I have the same thing in my Lund. Floating rope. works great, don't need to reach in to live well water.

Paul
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbite View Post
I have the same thing in my Lund. Floating rope. works great, don't need to reach in to live well water.

Paul
Mine drain plug is a side outlet, it used a twist plug, not sure how this would work.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
Smell doesn't bother me, I just think it is poorly engineered, and they cheaped out in this area IMO. Premium price, premium boat, but a 1980's design.
Try to explain water in any amount of water in your live-well to the weed police
Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92761 View Post
Try to explain water in any amount of water in your live-well to the weed police
I keep my boat on the same lake, we have our own boat ramp, so its never an issue for me thankfully.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
I prefer to wash my hands by reaching over the boat, not in the livewell full of fish lol. I know the plug is a minor deal I'm griping about, I wonder how the Ranger/Skeeter guys like the setup they have? Maybe cable operators are better now?
I had to replace both the valves on my ranger talk about skinning up your knuckles what a pain in the ***! and both cables and went through 2 or 3 valve handles on my skeeter. they would twist off when the valves got stuck , like Burr said they only work for a few years then they lock up due to sand and whatever else got in them.
My new Lund has the plug and I would rather have that than replace the valves again. Plus when they start leaking they get air locked and wont pump water, at least that was my experience.

Last edited by hoytshooter; 05-20-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: needed to add more info
Old 05-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytshooter View Post
I had to replace both the valves on my ranger talk about skinning up your knuckles what a pain in the ***! and both cables and went through 2 or 3 valve handles on my skeeter. they would twist off when the valves got stuck , like Burr said they only work for a few years then they lock up due to sand and whatever else got in them.
My new Lund has the plug and I would rather have that than replace the valves again. Plus when they start leaking they get air locked and wont pump water, at least that was my experience.
Thats good to hear, basically they just don't last. I'm glad you have experience with multiple boats using the cable system. I'll keep what I have based on that, thanks.